Thread: [Discussion] Skepticism of Science
View Single Post
Old February 28th, 2013 (07:08 AM).
Livewire

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Livewire
Quote originally posted by Yoshistar64:
Not saying you're wrong, but I'd just like to know some of those specific educational failures in the 80's compared to education before then. I personally think that while education has always been a VERY flawed institution, you could argue that education itself has gotten better with new technologies that grant us access to more knowledge. In fact, since World War II, colleges (and I believe high schools) based a core curriculum (Columbia University and West Point for example) directly in response to threats to U.S. security, so the importance of education should be correlated with its improvement. But now I'm more interested in what you think!
It's no secret that our average test scores have been mediocre for several years and have even dropped further in recent years, America is 20-something now in terms of average SAT score if I remember right. (Whether from poor teaching or the increasing access to the test by minorities and disadvantaged whites who usually score lower)

On top of that, education budgets at a state and local level have been on the chopping block for budget cuts and are usually some of the first things to get cut. Schools have to do more with less, which doesn't nessicaraly mean they'll fail - my alma mater's average expenditures per student has fallen a few hundred dollars since I graduated while keeping our 'Excellent With Distinction' score from the state. But I also live in a pretty advantaged/affluent district with a multi-million dollar high school, outfitted with new computers, new textbooks, etc. And we still had to make several painful budget cuts in the past decade or so. Imagine what failing districts had to go through financially.

And the technology can improve by leaps and bounds, but it's irrelevant if the schools don't have the money to afford it. Money is the thing your average suburban Midwest school district does not have. And Columbia and West Point don't really apply here/ need to worry about money, with mammoth endowments, worldwide notoriety, and such. And the watering down of curricula to suit ineffective state tests, i.e, No Child Left Behind, hasn't helped either.

BSS | D&D | PM | VM