View Single Post
Old March 2nd, 2013 (04:48 PM).
The Awakened
Crystal Tier

Nature: Brave

Nathaniel Calaway- Somewhere in London, England.
October 31st, 2012

"Nate! Nate! You gotta wake up mate!" A voice burst through a door, tearing it off its hinges.

"Bill, leave me alone…I need some sleep" Nathaniel groaned, rolling in his bed pulling the covers over his head. It didn't help that Bill called Nathaniel by a nickname that he was not too fond of to begin with. Nicolas was the first to call him by that name and his English roommates just decided to call him that too once they caught wind of it. It didn't help that it rhymed with "mate" which Bill loved to say.

"Come on, man. It's getting late. We have to go to class soon anyway," Bill pouted with concern. "Trust me, getting up for this is worth it," he continued as he knew Nathaniel would say something along the lines of 'Class isn't for a while'. Nathaniel rolled around to face Bill with a blank expression, overwhelmingly cold expression. "I'll take that as you'll get up," Bill chuckled in victory.

Nathaniel emerged from his dark room, still in his pajamas, groggy and tired. He was rubbing his eyes still as the conscious world was becoming gradually more clear to him. His roommates, Bill (the rude awakener and his best friend here), Charlie (Bill's friend from high school) and Arthur (the only one more reclusive than Nathaniel himself) huddled together around the small television that Nicolas bought Nathaniel for his room abroad. While small, it still got job done and fortunately Bill and Charlie pooled money together to get basic cable or the English equivalent to such a thing. Nathaniel didn't catch the details, nor did he care for them. As Nathaniel grew closer to the television and his consciousness restored, a news report rung through his ears.

"Evidence was found today that the cause of the Berlin Explosion was the work of Atlanteans. André Cabrillo, brother of Leo Cabrillo, member of the Atlantean Royal Family, was suspected to be the cause of the explosion as survivors claimed to have seen the 20 year old in the streets on Berlin that day as well as physical DNA evidence at the heart of the chaos. Other members of the Royal Family have made no comments towards his disappearance but together with the United Nations have rushed an international bill, calling all Atlanteans to register themselves and their abilities with the local Atlantean Relief Centres in all capital cities. Anybody now caught using Atlantean Abilities without being registered or carrying a registration card will face detainment.

"More on this story soon..."

Nathaniel was in a temporary state of shock. He had, since his abilities manifested recently, he could get anyway not having to worry about getting caught. However, now everything became just a little more difficult, if only because Nathaniel's powers were not in complete control.

"Pretty crazy stuff eh?" Bill said to his roommates.

"You can say that again," Charlie replied, letting the news report run in the background as he rose from the small couch and stretched, releasing a huge yawn. Probably slept there again, Nathaniel thought. Everyone turned to Arthur for his response to the news report, but he just grunted and went back into his room. They turned to Nathaniel, who was still processing his thoughts.

"You okay, Nate?" They both asked simultaneously.

"Oh, yes. I'm fine," Nathaniel said with a half hearted laugh. "You didn't see that everyday."

Bill and Charlie raised an eyebrow each, judging him. Bill cleared his throat. "You're rarely shocked by things. Where is your cheeky one-liner on it? Or your clearly objective analysis of the entire situation?"

"It's nothing to worry about. It's just…the world responding to a potential threat. I am sure it will blow over soon and everything will go back to normal." Nathaniel assured his friends. "No sense in over thinking something like it."

He returned to his room and slammed the door shut and fell into his chair. His desk was covered in books, papers, organized in small piles. Many of them were unrelated to one another, but there was one trend: history, myths and ancient texts. After the Atlanteans revealed themselves, Nathaniel took an invested interest in them. It had only been a few weeks (he lost track of in between everything), but nevertheless Nathaniel got caught up in the whole "being from Atlantis" concept. It is not everyday you learn grandma and grandpa were probably mermaids or something. He wanted to learn about his heritage, but sadly he did not find as much as he had hoped for. Mostly he found legends, stories and things that just didn't add up. Nathaniel thought he was only looking in the wrong place, but this wasn't a time to dwell on his lack of findings. It was a time to just deal with the facts. He is an Atlantean and he had to answer the summons and meet more members of his kind. Nathaniel could only hope the deep fears he locked deep within his head were nothing more than unfounded conspiracy theories.

He gathered his things, clothes and some paperwork and stepped out of his room. Bill and Charlie were cooking up some breakfast, and as usual Arthur's room was locked to all. He snuck into the bathroom and washed up, in a daze, doing everything without much thought. The only thing awoke up from his daze was when Nathaniel realized he froze the water coming out of the shower head, likely breaking another one. That would be his cue to step out and hope no one noticed the broken shower (again). Putting on his regular outfit (accessories and all), halfway soaked with his hair still wet, Nathaniel stepped out of the bathroom. He packed his bag with a few necessities but curiously left a few stapled papers on the table. He made his way to the closet beside the door and put on his favorite black and red racing jacket, almost forgetting his black racing helmet with the design of his favorite game painted on the sides and back. "Taking the bike out?" Bill's voice said in the distance. "You do remember we got class in a bit right?"

"Yeah," Nathaniel muttered. "I don't think I am going to make it today. Can you give my professors the papers on the table for me?"

"Yeah, but what do you want me to tell them?"

"Make up a story. You enjoy doing that, don't you?" Nathaniel replied with complimentary charm.

"Think you will be home tonight?" Charlie interrupted the little moment. "I was going to cook up something for supper tonight. Its for a class. I need to cook up an original dish and survey it. I was hoping you'd help, You are the only one honest enough to tell me if it is terrible or not. Bill's too nice and Arthur never talks."

"Sure, no promises though," Nathaniel said with a half wave, closing the door gently on his way out. Hating elevators, Nathaniel walked down the stairs into the lower levels of the parking garage. He was the only one with any sort of vehicle, so by default he got to keep the parking spot all to himself. Mounting his motorcycle, Nathaniel secured his bag, put on his gloves and equipped his helmet before racing off in typical egotistical motorcycle fashion. Rarely one to observe traffic laws, Nathaniel raced through the crowded streets of London only respecting the foreign laws when he noticed a police officer in the vicinity. He got pulled once before, barely able to walk away with a warning. He took a number of shortcuts through some alleys on his way to the Atlantean Centre. He arrived later than he wanted to however, unable to bypass the influx of vehicles and people at the centre. It seemed many people saw the news report and wanted to sign up for the register card as to avoid any sort of unsightly incidents. Or a bunch of retarded teenagers thought it would be a good story to show at the centre and troll the officials. Troll people with super powers, yeah…nice one morons.

Upon entering the building, he was directed a painfully long line. It seemed to make no progress in the hour or so that he remained on the line, though he witnessed a number of people be rejected. Why anyone would want to pose as an Atlantean was beyond Nathaniel's comprehension. The only reasonable explanation would be gain insight into the society itself. Not that would do much.

After some time, it was his turn. A menacing guard and his close friend, stabbed Nathaniel in the arm with some sort of needle (luckily he took his jacket off a while back when he entered the building) leaving a bump in its wake. He was lead through the doors and ended up in a room with a few doctors to undergo further tests. It seemed whatever solution was in the needle was a preliminary round. Now it was time for the real test. Nathaniel sat a desk and stared his doctor waiting for the next step.

"Name?" the doctor asked, apathetic at the whole situation. Nathaniel was already getting a bad feeling about it. The needle from earlier didn't help.

"Nathaniel Calaway." The two corresponded briefly, taking down Nathaniel's information. The minor details that Nathaniel said offhand with little concern for the repercussions. He had to give him the information even if he didn't want or face punishment later.

"And what can you do, Mr. Calaway?" The doctor asked, trying his best to sound polite and interested. Clearly this doctor got the boring ones. It was this time that Nathaniel reached a crossroads. He could explain his power in a polite manner or he could have a bit of fun.

"Is that coffee?" Nathaniel asked the doctor, pointing to his mug.

"Um…yes?" The doctor said, confused and annoyed as he peered into Nathaniel's blue eyes from behind his glasses. Undoubtedly, the doctor probably thought that his patient had the ability of Coffee Manipulation, which would be deadly to any Starbucks fan.

Nathaniel placed a single finger on his mug and watched as the mug instantly froze. "Hope you enjoy iced coffee."

Eyes wide, the doctor stumbled over his words and his once highly prized mug shattered as it collided with the ground: "Um….oh yes. Very interesting, Mr. Calaway. T-take this paper and see the guard for your next batch of instructions. N-next!"

With a forced smile, Nathaniel took the slip of paper and rose from his seat, putting his jacket back on and proceeded to follow the doctor's instructions as he was lead to a crowded room full of other Atlanteans. The whole experience was a bit surreal and strange. He couldn't really believe it was happening. Of course, he had felt shades of another time…The Holocaust to be precise in which Jews were round up by the Nazis to be sent to camps. Hopefully this was not the underlying plot of these centers.

He looked for a spot to rest, the stress getting to him a bit. The room was crowded, which didn't help things at all for a person who grew sick of people rather easily. Nathaniel maneuvered around the room until he found a young girl sitting by herself, alone with a sling, on the cold ground. Couldn't get much more depressing than that. Nathaniel walked over to her, throwing his jacket over her shoulders as he plopped next to her.

"This whole thing is a bit crazy isn't it?" Nathaniel said to her, stirring up conversation. "Name's Nathaniel. You could call me 'Nate' if you want. Everyone seems to. What do they call you?"

Paired with the manly Supervegeta