View Single Post
Old March 6th, 2013, 09:54 PM
Java's Missingno.
The Electric Mayhem

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by audinowho View Post
*whistles*
DigiPen, eh? Hardcore. Well, it is most certainly interesting hearing the principles and methods that trade school teaches by. I'm sure there's much that this community would benefit from in its teachings. It makes me glad that some Pokemon fans among us decided to carry over their interest to pursue the craft behind the wonders that inspired them to begin with. Make a real Pokemon game, will you? ;>
Hardcore is right - I came to Redmond right out of high school, so it's twice as hard for me as it is for others enrolled at DigiPen. I'm glad that you think what I've been studying could be beneficial here - It's actually one of the reasons I decided to come back after such a long absence. In fact, the Game Development forum here is probably one of the biggest factors in my decision to pursue a career in game development; It was amazing to a 9-year-old Christopher what people could do with a tool like RPG Maker, and I wanted to take even that a step further, so I went from RPG Maker to VisualBASIC to Javascript to C and C++, learning everything I could on my own until I found out about DigiPen. Most of the students are even farther along that I am in this journey, so at times it can be overwhelming, but I simply can't give up - I've come too far not to.

Quote:
...oops, that's a different topic. Now I'd like to say that when it comes to software design in general, it's a well-known issue that software design is hard to track, with a very vague "solution" condition. 90% syndrome, the "wicked problem", etc. etc. It's a subject of its own to deal with that kind of problem. I've observed that people really seem to like 'agile' around here irl. That being said, subversion, or /some kind of version control/ is really helpful for minimizing mistakes. Subversion is nice, although I tend to lean on the side of Git too, using it mostly for backup (Game project or not). In a nutshell, people tend to like it better than subversion because backing up your changes to a repository is treated as a different action from imposing your changes on other people, and it (sort of) works offline. Some fangames I've seen use it. Pokemon Online (the battle sim) is open source on github actually (which is awesome).
That problem is one that a lot of DigiPen students suffer from when they're starting out here. Of course, when they get demoted points for this vagueness during presentations, the habit dies fast!

I've looked into alternatives to Subversion quite often, actually. My first semester project was actually built using a shared Dropbox folder, as DigiPen's Subversion servers were not friendly to the program we were required to use, "ProjectFUN" (The world FUN is capitalized because otherwise you'd forget how FUN it is. And FUN is mandatory!). Of course, there are alternatives which can be even worse than Dropbox. Coming to mind immediately is communication solely by e-mail or the dreaded "sneakernet" where your version control is a guy running around with a flash drive.

Quote:
I kind of think overscoping and hyping is... inevitable here. XD If anything, bringing that to light and learning to get a grip on the proper points through that kind of failure leads to good experience. Not everyone is at the same level in an online community. There's some times when I thought a project was overscoped, but whoever was doing it would prove me wrong by his or her own tenacity. At that point it became a case of proof-of-concept and there's less reluctance against jumping on. That being said, it does seem like a good idea for people to slowly let others in as the time comes. If they want anyone at all, that is...
While it is somewhat inevitable, I'd like to say that those more grandiose features should be chalked up as "Stretch Goals" - something to work towards if everything else is in working order. It's helpful sometimes to fly too close to the sun, and learn from those mistakes. It's important to know your own limits, and not to hold yourself to standards you can't hope to achieve in a project(or to someone else's standards if you're on two very different levels of skill). I love that moment when a team I thought had overscoped turns everything around and shows that they were more than capable of accomplishing their goals. That determination is something I take note of for people to work with in the future here.

Quote:
Some games have had just one dev here and they've got the consistency of vision and quirk reminiscient of a single-author book. Lol, SPEE...
I find those single-dev games impressive if they accomplish what they set out to do, though I also know that often it's not quite feasible. I personally prefer to work as a team, but all too often I've learned that the only person you can hold 100% accountable is yourself.