View Single Post
Old March 7th, 2013 (12:17 PM).
Pokémon Aureolin
Crystal Tier

Nature: Timid
Quote originally posted by IceyPinkLemons:
If there's a problem I've noticed in a lot of your sprites, it's the shaping of the form. It's not that the colors you pick look bad either (though your darkest color choices could use some work) because your palettes always look like they truly belong together. But when it comes to the actual shape of your sprites, you seem very hesitant to try and stray from the very basic shapes. It's not a bad thing, it would just add to your sprites if you were to try a little more in that area on developing the shapes. Do you sketch out an outline for your sprites before you start? That can really help solidify the sprite in the end. The closest I think I've seen you get to better shapes I think are in your Minareon and Froakie sprites. The problem with Minareon seems to be the posing of the front legs. They both look very similar in nature, as if one had just been flipped and recolored. It might have turned out better had you made the further arm peek out just a little bit instead of as far as it went. Don't be afraid to sacrifice the uniformity of your sprites in order to create asymmetry. Sometimes what looks different and doesn't show can really change the way you look at a sprite. The belly seems to be another issue on the Minareon sprite, it almost makes it look anorexic. A slight bulge could give it that extra cuteness, but don't go overboard. The left ear (from the Minareon's perspective) could also use some work. It doesn't look like it quite fits on the head. You probably should have placed it further back so it seemed more realistic. However, despite those three small issues, I adore the coloring and concept.
Thanks for the cc. I see what you mean- I also do think I probably could have done better with the claws or the front legs with the Minareon sprite, and I have to admit I kinda have a sweet idea of a pose I could try if I go back and review it (which I probably will). As for sketching out an outline, I usually do. It's one of the first things I do, but I can kinda see what you mean about sticking to basic shapes. I'll try and take that into account in the future. As for the Froakie sprite, I kinda semi-based it on it's official sprite so I guess that doesn't really count, but I think for the Minareon sprite it's because I was trying to imitate the anatomy of the Eeveelutions to an extent (I did use Leafeon's sprite as a reference) so that's probably why it's a bit different in terms of shaping. I'll take into account the stomach and ear too. Thanks for the positive comments about the palette too- I have to admit when spriting usually the darkest palette (excluding black) is pretty close to black anyway, making it a little redundant. I'll have to work on that. I also sketched out a couple of concepts for Minareon and tried to refine it before spriting so I'm glad it payed off somewhat.

New sprite for now~ A revamp of Estelle because I didn't really like the old one. xD

C&P from a certain site *cough*checkmysignature*cough*

"A revamp of the old Estelle sprite since I found it kinda meh. I definitely like the new one more. She's actually holding her sword now (it's a short sword- that's why it's tiny ) and has ashield on her back. I like the palette more too. Anyway, enjoy and stuff~
----

Estelle- "The Iron Maiden."
Gym Leader of ??? City
Badge- Gear Badge
Type- Steel

Pokemon
* Magneton lv 33
* Skarmory lv 34
* Steelix lv 34
* Aggron lv 36

Desc.- Estelle is a very strong-willed lady who maintains both a family life and gym. She also has a deep love for history and dresses in a medieval fashion to reflect this. She is one of the oldest Gym Leaders, and her attitude and personality reflect this. She is very wise and is a refreshing change from the previous female Gym Leaders, as she has a very loving and kind attitude. At home she has her husband and her two older children.

THESE SPRITES ARE NOT FOR PUBLIC USE! Thank you."