View Single Post
Old March 12th, 2013 (04:08 PM).
Pokémon Island Creator

Quote originally posted by Maruno:
It's also true that everything in here so far are computer games. Perhaps I'll have a competition to come up with an idea for a non-digital Pokémon game (e.g. card game, board game, D&D-type game, word game, whatever), just to force the idea that not all games need to be computer-based.
This is a very important thought for a developer/designer

There isn't, as far as I know. This would tie in to my suggestion above of a general thread for beginners which introduces game dev.
I believe that only a revision in Abnegation Tutorial should be enough.

I disagree on both points. Yes, Essentials is the best option for the average person, but it's certainly not the only option and we shouldn't restrict the alternatives. Yes, the majority of games here will be Pokémon-related, but there will be (and are) a couple which aren't, and those shouldn't be discouraged either. This is just the "Game Development" section, not the "Pokémon Games Made In Essentials" section.
I agree with the__end. We need to focus in the best options, but not totally excluding the others options.

How about having a thread for each kind of resource, rather than having everyone make their own threads for a couple of sprites or tiles? The first post in each thread could list all the posted resources within it, with links. In that case, which threads are needed would need to be decided.
Maybe this gets well if you fuse tutorials section with the main section.

Quote originally posted by elarmasecreta:
What do you mean with GDM? Game Developer's Magazine?

I'm writing a mapping tutorial as we speak. I also think that it might be helpful to provide exercises and challenges for the reader when writing them, this could be particularly handy when it come down to scripting tutorials.
Game Development Monthly, as I said in my post.