View Single Post
Old March 13th, 2013 (05:47 PM).
Guide of Darkness
Gold Tier

Nature: Quiet
Quote originally posted by CarcharOdin:
Okay, from what I'm reading on Wikipedia on his stances, I can't tell whether or not this will be a case of "the more things change, the more they stay the same."
The Church's stances are the Church's stances. For them to change would undermine the religion's perceived legitimacy. Supposedly. Outside of a Vatican III occurring, I wouldn't expect any sweeping changes.

And even then, of the large issues that people seem to focus on... gay marriage, abortion, priests getting married, female priests, contraceptives... I think priests getting married and female priests would be most likely to change. Followed by contraceptives to lesser extent.

I wouldn't expect the Church's position on abortion to ever change since they see life starting for conception. Nor gay marriage since the purpose of religious marriage is to procreate and they don't look kindly upon that being separated (they're not fond of in vitro fertilization either, for instance. They're fine with adoption as a solution/alternative to abortion primarily).