View Single Post
Old March 16th, 2013 (04:17 PM).
colors of the wind.
ModeratorCSEO

Nature: Careful
Send a message via Skype™ to Osiris
Quote originally posted by Lightning:
I wish Canada were better at teaching the opposite language, though. I see people posting on PC from countries where English isn't their first language and even by 13 they're able to communicate quite well on English-language forums and whatnot. Most people finish the entirety of their mandatory French classes without even a basic grasp on how to speak French, at least here in Ontario, despite having to learn it from... what is it, grade 1 through 9? (I wasn't here until grade 7 so I don't know when it starts here... it doesn't even start in NS until grade 4.) I feel like the only reason we get by is because French and English are already somewhat close in etymology so it's easy to guess at meanings. If we had better classes and more immersion available, Canada would be closer to a legitimately bilingual country but as it is now, it's a pretty sad claim.
I'd have to agree with this. I know that out here in BC, people could care less about French (only 50,000 out of the 4.5 million that live here speak it fluently), so I'd say either teach it right through until graduation, or drop the Official Bilingualism nationally, and have it regulated on a provincial level. I'd prefer if we went with the first choice, though, since having taken French through grade 12, I'd at least be able to order a bus ticket in French if I had to.