View Single Post
Old March 16th, 2013, 07:07 PM
machomuu
Master Spark is Comin' to Town
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil View Post
Those games are fun, even inFamous was pretty cool with it. Stuff like Call of Duty, Tomb Raider, Battlefield, splinter cell, and so forth shouldn't have em.
I'd agree with Call of Duty and Battlefield, but I think that it is very appropriate in the case of Tomb Raider. I feel that the way that added skills fits in well with the story of a girl who has been forced under foreign circumstances. She is adapting to the life she has to lead during her journey and, as such, she hones skills that were previously nonexistent. If the level system hadn't been added, I don't really see any of the things that the skills add being in the game, and I think it works well to make the player feel more like s/he is Lara, and as they gain experience, they learn how to cope with the environment and the circumstances they are given.

Even if they aren't necessary in some cases, they don't really do anything to hinder the experiences most of the time (though this isn't the case with Online FPS that use them, like Call of Duty and Battlefield, where they are a rather large part of the game), which is why I wouldn't go so far as to say they shouldn't be there. In many games if you don't like them you can ignore them entirely (ie Tomb Raider).