View Single Post
Old March 17th, 2013, 01:08 PM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
Well, reading the article it seems like "ban" is way too strong a word. It just seemed like there would be no real effort to hire workers who were bilingual so if you were walking up to your average ticket booth or talking to a driver or something and wanted to conduct your business in English (in a French city), you would not be guaranteed service and if you absolutely couldn't figure out how to acheter un billet, you'd end up walking.

City officials aren't walking through the public transit system and kicking people out if they're found speaking English or something. They can't BAN a language. It just seems like they don't think they should be required to offer service in English just like the rest of Canada isn't required to offer service in French.
That article linked to in the thread read:

“We want the Charter of the French language modified so that all provincial and municipal services are offered exclusively in French,” said Marie-Claire Baigner, a representative from the SFPQ Union.

A ban on other languages would encourage immigrants and Anglophones to learn French, according to Baigner.

So, from that I took ban to mean... ban XD Granted, that term wasn't actually part of the quoted text and was probably entirely hyperbole on the article's part, but I ran with it. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
And that is absolutely fair, in my mind. It's what happens literally everywhere in the world. o_O Why is it a big deal if it happens in Montreal? Just because that city is partially English as well? If the francophones of Montreal know enough English that they can speak it when needed, I think the opposite should be true of anglophones living in the same city. Tourists can do whatever it is they always do when they visit a foreign language destination.

Not out on the street, anyway--there'll always be head offices and phone numbers to call for service in either language but your average bus driver or ticket booth attendant won't necessarily be able to help you in the language that is not actually native to the area. That was my understanding.
In the other thread I had said, It says in our Constitution, or more specifically our Charter of Rights and Freedoms, that both official languages (English and French) "have equality of status and equal rights and privileges as to their use in all institutions". Provincial services are supposed to be provided regardless of language. French is Quebec's only official language since the '70s, but they're still required to follow the Federal legislation on this.

Other places in Canada, where English is the primary language, may not be following this as intended either. And that's wrong too. But, while corny, two wrongs don't make a right. If someone from Quebec comes to Toronto, they should be able to order from the TTC booth in French. If that's not happening, I'd support efforts to rectify it too. Wouldn't necessarily need to hire bilingual workers. Just have signage and assistance available. That's all I think is necessary. Even in the Quebec case.

The "they can walk" attitude shown in the article just strikes a stronger chord with me because it has a bit of a "if they can't figure out, screw them" kinda feel to it which just makes no sense in the service industry to me.

Anyway, enough on that from me here. Don't need two threads on this. XD