View Single Post
Old March 20th, 2013, 10:48 AM
Jay0173
Author

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to Jay0173
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakyLocz14 View Post
U.S. and U.K. marriage laws are very different. In our system of divided powers between the federal and state governments, marriage is a state issues, and many states have have legalized same-sex marriage.
Ha, less than 1/5 of the states allow same sex couples to get married. That's hardly what I'd call "many." It's more like just a few.

And to put this into a different perspective, as a neighbour of yours to the north, Canada has been ahead of the US is virtually every civil rights issue, including slavery and women's rights. And the way this country separates the powers between province and country is a whole lot closer to how the U.S. government works compared to how the U.K. government works.

It's not the system of government that makes the difference. It's the attitudes of the people that does. And the U.S., in my experience (yes I've visited on several occasions), is not a very friendly place for people who are gay. I am more free here, as a Canadian, than I would be had I been born American.

The U.S.A. - Land of the free, unless you're gay.

JAY
3411-1525-5963

Dark-Type Safari with: Sneasel, Vullaby & Liepard
Personal Website
Canadaquaria Forum nScale.net
"...many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." ~ Obi Wan Kenobi