Thread: X and Y?
View Single Post
Old March 21st, 2013, 09:41 AM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaruby and Aquasapphire View Post
Black and White also share names with albums interestingly enough...though that's proably just by chance.

I think they wanted to go with X and Y because these are 3D games while the 3D axis is made up of X, Y, and Z, also with the added pun (sort of) of genetics which use the same letters so it's a bit of killing two stones with one stone theme here.
Also X represents mystery, while Y is another intergal, so after N we might just be getting more mathematical here. (mathematics also use Z, K, and i so there's possible third version names there but Z would fit the best imo)
From my point of view, math uses any and every letter of the alphabet. Science too.

With the added in helix of the Japanese logo, one can't help but think that the titles are more than just GameFreak trying to be punny. Usually the names have nothing to do with the overall story or theme, but I suppose there is always a first for everything. While I think the theory of X and Y being points on the 3D axis is more of a symbolic representation for being made for the 3DS than anything else.