View Single Post
Old March 24th, 2013, 08:38 PM
vapes
Togepi

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbymanga View Post
Actually, Gen 2 did bring about a fire Pokemon that everyone thought came from gen 3, Slugma and Magcargo. These guys were found in Mt. Silver.

And what about Magbi. he was a fire type.

And the skiploom family? did you forget those grass types? What about Sunkern and Sunflora? Or Bellossom?

And while Johto may have been a small region by itself, you have to admit that the cities themselves were full of a lot of things and most tended to make you retrace your steps to go back a lot. Goldenrod had the Department store and the Gambling corner, and the Tower, and team Rocket's head quarters

But Team Rocket also had their head quarters in the Ice Gym.

And in order to challenge the Steel Gym you had to fight the Fighting gym first, which meant you had to track through the lighthouse twice in order to do challenge her.

And there was some nice mythology going on with the Burned(Bronze) Tower, Tin Tower thing with the incredibly complex maze to get to either of the legendaries. And the nice time-travel subplot brought in during Crystal about Silver, who is my favorite Rival out of them all anyway.

Not to mention the huge Edo-Japan theme they used for Johto, which was one of the reasons I fell in love with the culture in the first place.
My problem with that is Slugma and Magcargo aren't available until the end of the game; same goes for Hondour. And I have no idea why they did this as those were the only new fire types introduced. Magbi evolves into Magmar, which is a Gen 1 Pokemon. Growlithe and Vuplix evolve through stone which the player may not even get until the after-game with Bill's grandfather (not to mention how nerfed Vulpix became after Gen 1).

I actually did and should therefore withdraw my grass type argument.

While there was a lot to do in the cities, the same could be said with the other games. Johto had more content in their cities, but it still felt short. And Kanto felt kind of lazy and just a way to artificially lengthen the game.

Team Rockets' plans never seemed all that interesting to me. They just didn't do much to have enough of an impact. The teams in the future games really threatened the region being played; I never got this from Team Rocket. And the lack of Giovanni in G/S/C/HG/SS made Team Rocket even more boring to me.

Silver was the best part about the games in terms of story. The time travel subplot was great, but the problem with that was it was only through events that it could be accessed, leaving many players unable to see it.

They mythology was there, but it wasn't mentioned much in the games aside from Ecruteak city. Catching Ho-oh and Lugia just felt like another side mission rather than something to look forward to. R/S/E, for example, really made the legendaries have an impact in the overall plot of their games. Ho-oh and Lugia were just...there.

White FC: 2967 8981 9744

White 2 FC: 4342 1706 0881 (usually for trades; I have pretty good Pokes in my PC)