View Single Post
Old March 29th, 2013 (11:11 AM).
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zancross View Post
As much as I think that this game is pretty (I love the graphics, and that little spinning-logo for the market and pokecenter never stop to amuse me. Sometimes, it's the little stuff that sticks out the most), it also has some annoying things that I'm sure other people found out. Just to name a few:

1) I trained a Combee all the way up to a Vespiqueen, only to realize the can't get any of her moves, which... kinda makes her useless, I guess.
Lucario has a weak move pool, as well. It finally learned Cross Chop at Lv.49, but it only has 5 PP.

Quote:
2) Starting this game is painful. There's no recovery at your mom's house, and even though a person there gives you a MAX POTION (overkill much?), you are expected to go through 3 trainers until you can reach a poke center. Die? "Oh, sorry bud, there goes half of your money. Hope you enjoyed the Defense Curl + Rollout combo!" Why not make the NPC give you 5 potions instead for an overkill item right at the start? And that's assuming you can't reprogram the character's mom to heal you.
You missed the nurse on the bench near the exit? Elekid also helps with the bugs held by the Trainers, or do what I did: train in the grass first.

Quote:
3) The items in the shops are ridiculous at the start. You have pretty much everything you can buy... except normal potions or super potions. It can be argued you can just grind in the grass and you won't need the healing items, but it still seems kinda jarring to buy a Hyper Potion in a market, then walk three feet and find a potion laying on the ground.
Trust me, I complained about this. Especially with the Great Balls showing up later in eastern Zhery. Not sure it's ever going to change, and until you head towards Seanport you can always pick up the 20 HP Potions in Central City.

Also, if you use a Pickup Pokémon (stick it at the back and lust level it periodically), you can keep checking it for Nuggets and Super Potions. I have over 100,000 PD and I have sold a fortune in Nuggets, as well as some 40 Super Potions. Super Repels start showing up when you really need them (in Groment City). The only expensive item you should ever really have to buy is the Ultra Balls, and even those show up via Pickup; you can use Save State Abuse™ to also guarantee you only need one at a time. (Yes, I wish regular Pokéballs appeared at Central City.)

You may not even need to catch anything because there's a Safari Zone early; drop 2K of cash to visit each zone and collect every Pokémon in those zones, and you have a boxful. Moomoo Milk (100 HP!) can be bought later after you encounter the Snorlax on Route 405 (this is before the second Gym!); buy them back at Inhore City in the Combee area. You just have to be creative with how you use the money. Oh, and the Amulet Coin doubled Trainer intake; I'm opting not to use it to see what is possible.

4) I don't know if this is because of a language barrier or something, but... Some NPCs don't make no sense. At all. Sorry if I seem to be nitpicking, but it's kinda weird when a random guy that I never seen before looks at me and says "You look like a nice kid! Have a pokemon!". I mean, sure, there could be a couple guys like that one, but it just seems weird that someone would offer a pokemon like that.[/QUOTE]
"I can tell just by looking at you..."

Something about first impressions. I don't know.

Quote:
I do also like that there's several pokemon for you to choose from, and you're given pokemon in towns like they are candy, so you have a chance to alter your team as you see fit. This could actually be a good excuse to give towns some NPCs that could say useful stuff, since the average player would have the "Gotta talk with everyone in the town, maybe they'll give me a pokemon!" mentality. Sadly, that never happens.

In the end, good game, but it needs some improvement, is all.
It's not perfect, but it's still a half-decent hack. And since Wesley is gone, we're making little improvements to it. But we're not changing the game completely.

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.