View Single Post
Old March 29th, 2013 (01:53 PM).

I use arch. First I run it through wine, but if that crashes or produces errors I use VirtualBox with XP. If that fails (it doesn't) I have a dusty windows 7 on a different partition. But generally they only times I'd ever have to use it is if directX is used, and there's no support for opengl. A lot of the most basic tools will work, but a lot of the more complex programs built using windows proprietary things (eg if it's built using visual studio 6.0 or whatever it is) like A-Map need VirtualBox.

Generally the only graphics errors I've had are due to the window being drawn too large or qt not seeing options, both of which are issues on wine's end. 3-D issues (which I've never run into hacking, only, say, playing games completely unrelated to all of this) happen because of the difficulty of wrapping DirectX or VB not yet figuring out how to move it between windows, the host machine, and the kernel.

As far as actually running roms go, I usually use mednafen, the gba part of which is based off vba. However, I do have vbam installed for... I don't know why exactly... and vba itself runs fine in VirtualBox.

If you intend on making something open source or at least readily usable on Linux and OSX you're probably going to have to rely on your users getting comfy with the command line, unless you really want to put the effort in to make 3 separate guis.
Hey! If you're a tool maker or you have a resource to contribute, but you're not up to trying to make a guide, I'll be happy to try and write one up for you if you want. All I need is a pm and the offsets.