Old March 29th, 2013, 11:05 PM
Brendino
#fpt2014

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Fail View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
Yeah, the difficulty really ramps up when you get into the later (and optional) grades of French. When you take a French university course, they start teaching from Ontario's Grade 9 French. And that's the only required one here. I don't think you learn much aside from passé composé in it, since it's assumed you know present tense (except no one does because no one takes French seriously until that grade since the curriculum doesn't take it seriously until then). Why does that happen then? There's absolutely no reason it can't happen while we're kids. It's better to learn languages when you're young anyway. After a certain age, it becomes really hard for us to learn pronunciations and even actual languages. Children are much, MUCH more receptive to languages when they are very young so French basics and vocab and pronunciation and all that should be taught as early as Kindergarten with grammar and more useful vocabulary in earlier grades to go with it.
I started Passé Composeé in like, 9th Grade here too, and I'm doing other tenses as well, like imparfait and futur proche, as well as futur simple. Except I get them confused on a regular basis lol.
My class started learning passé composé back in grade 7, but that was because our teacher actually spoke French as his first language, and figured if we got a head start we'd be better prepared for future French classes (I'd even say my grade 9 French class was easier than grade 7). I really wish that I could've stayed on that difficulty curve going forward, since I learned next to nothing about French for two years.

The big problem I think is that many teachers (especially as you get further away from Quebec) aren't as knowledgable about the language as they should be, so it's similar to the blind leading the blind in teaching French. I find that this leads to all of the simple activities like crosswords and learning songs, because you won't have a teacher specializing in French until high school. Again, if we want to promote a nationwide bilingualism, we should be learning it from a much earlier age, since even those two extra years would've improved my skills greatly.

---

I wouldn't mind helping out with the club, either, since I'm not quite as busy as everyone else, but then again, there are a couple of you that are more active here than I am. That, and the club isn't quite as active as some of the other ones, so I'm sure whoever's running it won't have too much trouble.

Also, I noticed that the Canadian Club is eligible to receive it's own emblem. I'm not quite sure what the requirements would be to receive it, what it would look like, etc., but I think it would be a neat idea if we had one.

Favorite Pokémon Tournament 2014: DARK // NORMAL