View Single Post
Old April 6th, 2013 (02:14 AM).
Went
Team Magma Grunt

Send a message via Skype™ to Went
Quote originally posted by TRIFORCE89:
Eh... I didn't convey that clearly. No problem with parents claiming them as dependants or trying to give them a break.

I meant why would that be tied to voter registration? As proposed here. That's what seems weird to me. No rhyme or reason to it.

There was really no point to me saying "in the first place" XD Because voter registration at a different location was not itself tax exempt, it just rather didn't actually come into play. And it shouldn't.
Reason: in 2008, Obama carried NC by a 14k vote margin- mostly thanks to college votes, and that included a State takeover, with dem Governor and all. So, after the reps got it back in 2012, they understood that the best way to stop that from ever happening was trying to make it harder for college students to vote. And since a SC ruling protects their right to register to vote where they study, so it can't be downright banned, they had to find another way to make them think twice- and extorting their families with targeted tax penalties sounds just fine for them.