View Single Post
Old April 11th, 2013, 03:59 AM
dkp
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurapika View Post
I want to decapitalize some words by hex editing, but some words are small and I am afraid I would modify some data I shouldn't touch. Can I get some tips/help please?

EDIT: Also, does anyone know how to tell if a specific byte is actually part of some text or part of something else...? (other than converting a whole part of hex into text and verify if it makes a senseful sentence/word. >.<)
I can't post links yet, but bear with me.

Download a text editor with support for table files.

romhacking dot net slash utilities slash 204

(dot = . ; slash = / )

Then copy the table in diegoisawesome's scripting guide:

showthread.php?t=164276

Into a text file, and name it with the extension .tbl

Open your rom with goldfinger, then from the same menu there will be another option to open one of multiple tables. Open your table.

In goldfinger, then press F7 (the equivalent of ctrl-F) and then ctrl-TAB (this switches it from hex mode to character mode). Then carefully search one at a time.

Technically, there isn't a way to tell. However, generally text is around other text and ends in the byte FF (\x per HackMew's syntax). If it's something like RACECAR and immeadiately surrounding it is taR and /-ç and a bunch of garbage characters it's likely command chains. If it's something like YES and next to it is two \x s with the words NO\x, MAYBE\x, SEE YA\x etc around you *might* have found the multichoice menu.

You might have to make a back up (don't rely on the text editor to do it for you) and make a yolo edit and pray the game still works - in such a case you might not notice if it's causing the rom problems or not. If in doubt, just accept it's unknown and don't change it.
Hey! If you're a tool maker or you have a resource to contribute, but you're not up to trying to make a guide, I'll be happy to try and write one up for you if you want. All I need is a pm and the offsets.