Thread: [Discussion] Perspectives on Atheism
View Single Post
Old April 14th, 2013 (10:39 AM). Edited April 14th, 2013 by Dakotah.
Dakotah
Author

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to Dakotah
Quote originally posted by gimmepie:
I am a very rational and critical thinker for the most part, I believe in the majority of sciences I'm not a religious radical like you seem to assume anybody who believes in a higher power is (no offence intended to you, but you do come across a lot like that).
I don't think religious people are radicals, but I do think they are perhaps afraid or insecure in their lives. Religion is a crutch, a device used to bring relief. And while this is good, it is also dangerous for eventually you could use that crutch so much that you become dependent on it.

I'm not asking you to subscribe to my beliefs but I hope that you can at least have the respect to not refer to God as imaginary. It doesn't bother me, I realise this is just your perspective but there are going to be others that are going to be angered or hurt by remarks like that and I figure you should know that, especially since you clearly are quite intelligent.
Respect is earned, not given. And until someone can provide me with verifiable proof in the existence of a supreme being responsible for all of creation and our continued existence, I can only view the concept of a god as being a figment of the human race's imagination. I'm a blunt individual. I speak my mind. I make no apologies for this. Most appreciate this in me because too often people lie to prevent others from getting hurt. But when the lie is discovered, it can cause a harm greater than if honesty is given first.

It is people like you that I was referring to (again, I'm not saying this with any malice) that are why atheists and those who believe in God or any other deity can't understand one other, you are unwilling to accept that the existence of God is a possibility and the religious are unwilling to accept that they could be wrong.
Not true, I'm more than willing to accept the concept of a god. Like the quote in my sig says: "By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out." In other words, keep your mind open to new ideas, but not so open that you'd readily accept an idea just because someone comes along who tells you it's the truth. I, for one, need more than someone's faith or belief to prove God is real. I need tangible evidence. And quite frankly, there is none that I can see.

Dark-Type Safari

Personal Website
Canadaquaria Forum nScale.net
"...many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." ~ Obi Wan Kenobi