View Single Post
Old April 14th, 2013 (11:38 AM).
Fursuiter

Nature: Timid
Quote originally posted by BlahISuck:
If you don't give respect in a conversation, you're not going to be able to understand what the other side is saying. I'm not sure if you've read my last post or not, but you might have ignored or not considered it. These conversations are only useful if we have some common ground to start from.
Might I ask what common ground you think atheists and the religious have? And keep in mind I've suffered quite the bit of abuse from the religious just because of who I am, so in my mind I don't see very much common ground at all.

Quote originally posted by gimmepie:
It's not about your bluntness but about taking a step back and consider where they are coming from, and you haven't been doing that since it's all about proof vs. no proof. Why don't you try asking why not having proof is acceptable to them? If you can't get to the bottom of that, no wonder you'll be making the same arguments over and over.
In the 40 years I've been alive on this planet I've constantly tried to understand where people are coming from (okay, maybe not as a kid, then it was always about when I'd get to play next). The problem is, the more I ask that question, the more irrational the answers become. After a time it became pointless to ask because I knew I'd get the same answers as before, and they make just as much sense now as they did then. None.

Quote originally posted by gimmepie:
You're trying too hard to not accept - or oppose, in other words - instead of trying to understand someone else's perspective. This is why I want to understand where faith comes from, because neither you and I have a conception of what that is, other than the fact that it's irrational.

The purpose of this thread, and gimmepie put it nicely, was to "act as a forum for two groups with opposing views to understand each other." Perhaps afterwards when there's more understanding we can open the debate into something actually useful. You say you need tangible evidence. This thread doesn't, at least not yet.
I don't think I'll ever understand how anyone could ever believe in a god, unless at some point I was shown incontrovertible evidence of God's existence. You can't really understand something unless you've experienced it yourself. I can't understand what it means to be a female, because I'm male. Someone who is straight can't understand what it means to be gay, because they're not gay. Unless I suddenly because religious, neither of us could fully understand it. So I don't much see the worth of trying.

1693-4093-6753

"...many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." ~ Obi Wan Kenobi