View Single Post
Old April 15th, 2013, 06:31 PM
Yusshin
♪ Yggdrasil ♪

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rococo View Post
@Yusshin:
It's in the human psyche to care about and want to protect children, thus, by adding in large bold letter that an eight-year-old was one of the victims it makes the situation seem even more tragic then it is.
But should not all deaths be equally tragic? We all care about each other and want to protect one another. I understand what you're saying about making it more tragic because it's a kid, but overall, three people dying is tragic in itself, no matter what race, age, etc. I just think it's kinda wrong. Even if they're not meaning to make it seem more important, that's the effect is has when they write things like "Three victims - one an eight-year-old boy - have died." Singling it out like that is a literary style meant to put emphasis and important on one specific idea and causes all other relative ideas to be overshadowed; in this case, it's the death of the boy that is overshadowing the two dead adults.

I dunno. I just don't think it's right to do that. I can see the other two victims' families feeling slightly insulted and undermined with writing like that. I know I'd feel that way anyway.

But not to drive this off-topic or even to lose sight of what the topic is about. I hope they find the people or person who did this and deals with them appropriately i.e. life imprisonment. There was true intent here to kill people en masse. It's horrible, and we don't need people like that running around free in society, or granted parole in 15 years.

Polaret | Fourette | Ecuret | Axew | Zorua | Nanette [Shiny]
"My scar makes me sassy, child!"
The Big Bang Theory Fan Club - Click To Join!
The French Club