View Single Post
Old April 18th, 2013, 07:34 PM
Kanzler
naughty biscotti
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
The effects of radioactivity wasn't as terrible as you think it might be. Let's consider first a whole 200,000 died outright from the blast. Radiation sickness and immediate cancer deaths might raise that number to 200,000. It's important to understand that radiation sickness will kill you in 6-8 weeks. That means if you're still alive by the end of that timeframe, you're probably going to make it in terms of avoiding radiation sickness. Estimates for cancer deaths into the 2000's is several thousands, a couple orders of magnitude below the number of those who died immediately so it's insignificant - even though they doubled the amount of leukemia deaths than expected.

Estimated American deaths from the invasions were at around 500,000, with the Japanese definitely suffering more and with many times that number in terms of civilian casualties - so the total could end up in the millions. I've had this debate at school in which people decried how cruel radiation is - but that's just hype. Birth defects and radiation sickness sure are gross, but I don't know if it's in good taste to compare radiation victims to burn and amputation victims as if it were categorically worse. And all this hype about human rights and suffering (euthanasia, PETA, etc.) seems to make people think death is a better option than suffering. And there are psychological traumas that have to be dealt with by everybody in the invasion, but I guess that isn't as bad as dying from cancer? I don't know about you guys, but while dead people don't suffer, they're still dead. They don't have a life any more, and the families don't have them any more either.

So that's why I feel dropping bombs and terrorizing the Japanese to surrender was a better option than an invasion that would have cost many more lives and suffering.