• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

✜ CHECKMATE : redux (OOC)

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024

✜ If a PLAYER is slain, the KISS has to be given to the corpse and the DREAMSELF will come alive.

✜ If a DREAMSELF is slain, the PLAYER will nevermore dream on the MOONS.

✜ If a PLAYER with a dead DREAMSELF is slain, the player enters the AFTERLIFE.

CHECKMATE
: r...e...d...u...x

this is the OOC thread - HERE IS THE IC THREAD
A strangely dramatic view and cryptic text comprises the front of the game you just received in the mail. It is called CHESS but it is a computer game and not a tabletop game. Inside, you find a thin leaflet telling you that CHESS will challenge gaming as humanity knows it by featuring both creating and building, hack'n'slash killing, adventurous mysteries and the most vivid and challenging roleplaying since the days of text games.

Unsuspecting or not, you eventually do install the game and attempt to play it together with other seemingly random people across the world who have received a similar copy of CHESS from an anonymous sender. Little do you know that this game is the only chance for you and your newfound friends to survive the apocalypse that the very existence of the game brought about in the first place...

Without disclosing too much, this is the most advanced game ever created. It will take a little while before you understand that, though.​

When you first install CHESS, you have to choose an available COLOR to represent you. The introduction phase of the game will then give you tasks to perform on the screen before a time counter runs out. If you do this right, you will begin the game of true CHESS. But you are in for a surprise...

All of a sudden, you are not controlling a character on the screen anymore - you are living the game as the player, yourself. You have stepped into a world of health bars, character stats and skills, a world which you cannot escape. Once you have entered the game of CHESS, you have to keep playing. Or perish.

You will explore LANDS, learn to fight, awaken supernatural ASPECTS, attach a whole new meaning to DREAMING, ALCHEMIZE the most extraordinary or crazy items imaginable and probably befriend TALKING ANIMALS. All while trying your best to ROLEPLAY to fit your given role and grow in LEVELS and stay alive as well as stay friends with the other PLAYERS in the game. You are all swimming in the same boat now, so to speak.

But what is the true purpose of CHESS?
What really happened to the Earth you left behind?
And can you handle the truth? The truth about the UNIVERSE itself.
That this is not just a game, but at the same time,
everything always was.

22a_zps27ef43f7.png

ABOUT THE ROLEPLAY

This is a remake and remix of a previous RP of mine, called CHECKMATE. As such, it is based on the same thing but will be very different and much more adapted for people who have never heard of Homestuck. Both in playstyle, details and plot. I will be a player of my own but also control some other important characters.

It might seem a bit similar to Sword Art Online too, since the players will be stuck inside a game and have an inventory, levels and skill sets.

It will be divided into a number of ACTS. If a player leaves mid-act, spots will open up for replacements with new characters in a pause in between the acts. There might be new OOC or IC threads for each acts, we'll see.

forward.png
At the end of the introduction phase, the game will assign each player a class judging from how they have acted and performed. Using what is stated below as base ground, you are free to develop the interpretation of your class a little. You will get to choose your class OOC but your character will not get to choose IC. Explanations to classes:

MAGE - focuses on altering things and bringing about changes, both literally and metaphorically. Gains bonus for using their aspect (magic). The dramatic class.

PRIEST - focuses on information, knowledge and advising. Bonus for intricate planning. Bonus for complicating things :) The enlightened class.

KNIGHT - focuses on attacking and offense, being rather straightforward about things. Simply put, bonus for attacking. The offensive class.

BARD - focuses on protecting, aiding and helping. Bonus for acts of defense. The defensive class.

ROGUE - focuses on stealth and displacement of things. Bonus for stealing, in any way. The shadowy class.

SMITH - focuses on alternatives and possibilities, being inventive and creative. Bonus for exploring. The unpredictable class.

forward.png
In case you wondered, yes you will be assigned an ASPECT as well, meaning a type of magic. But I will decide what magic you get, judging from what type of character you make and what title and color you choose. Maybe I'll give you some hand in it too, we'll see. All will be clear in due time!​

11a_zpse3cf8b05.png

RULES

1 - Follow all the PC and Roleplay Corner rules or I'll send Skymin on you.

2 - The rating is M. Even if entering a game, meeting aliens and playing with magic feels surreal, it would be nice if you were playing rather realistically. Please refrain from describing gore, injuries or "romantic" actions with detail though.

3 - Be careful not to godmod. Maybe you do want your character to succeed in everything they do, but the RP doesn't really become challenging and fun that way. Let your friends save your butt sometimes!

4 - Be polite and nice OOC. I have the final word on everything, for the sake of organisation. If there is anything about the RP, the world or CHESS you do no understand, please ask in the OOC thread because others might wonder the same thing.

5 - Reservations last for a few days and you may reserve a COLOR, a CLASS and what GENDER you'd like. Take your time to think up an interesting character but don't drag things out for too long.

6 - If you become unable to post for a while, notify the GM. Also, if you want to drop out of the RP for any reason, you have to notify the GM. If you just leave without giving an explanation, I will be really sad :) And your character will be killed :D​

44a_zps47bccfcc.png

Name: (first and last)
Gender: (male or female. I want genders as balanced as possible for the 6 characters)
Color: (what color do you want representing you in CHESS? if it's not a common color, please provide hex code)
Class: (choose between MAGE, KNIGHT, ROGUE, BARD, PRIEST, SMITH)

Age: (14-16, let's be relatively same-aged teenagers, shall we? That age where you're not quite grown up, but also no longer really a kid)
Home: (city/area and country/region of world)
Family: (list your family members living with you and any pets!)
Theme song: (if you want. I'll be linking to it now and then ^^)

Good personality traits: (state at least 3 personality traits that you think are positive and define your character)
Bad personality traits: (state at least 2 personality traits that you think are negative and define your character)
Interests and hobbies: (state at least 3 major things that you love doing in your spare time. Be creative!)

Appearance: (what do you look like? Body, style of clothing, face, hair etc. Include a picture if you want, but I'll still demand a full written description)

First post: (This shall be a freshly written text about the character you are going to be, and this will likely have a great influence on whether you'll get a spot or not. Write about being at home or arriving at home and somehow fetching or getting the CHESS game package from the mail. Include detailed description of your home. Mention all of the people and pets living with you. Mention all the hobbies or interests that you stated above. Also, you will here have the chance to display the personality and hint at some history of your character if you want to flesh that out before we begin the actual RP. NOTE: do not install the game yet.)​

55a_zps3a271fad.png

ACCEPTED PLAYERS

BARD
Vinnie Valentine by Lt. Col. Fantastic
REGINALDSPRITE - butler Reginald
Chakramkind
Cellventory

ROGUE
Penelope Cruz by Retro Bug
CHEERBEARSPRITE - Blue plush bear + pompoms
Ballkind
Purseventory

SMITH
Adrian Smidth by Red's Hawt Chibi Pelippers
JETSPRITE - bunny Jet + potted plant
Hammerkind
Bagventory

KNIGHT
Odetta Freeman by Geras32
BURKESTROYERSPRITE - beetle Burke + Arleigh Burke destroyer model
Fishingpolekind
Lockventory

SOON TO BE DEAD PLAYERS

PRIEST
Liam Drummond by Raikiri
NAVISISSPRITE  - Navi doll + sister
Swordkind
Backventory

DEAD PLAYERS

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Legend

Kingslayer
Years
I iz smart and look for OOC threads. ANYWAY. I'm interested. Male Black Rogue sounds fun. Let's reserve me for that one!

Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
Can you reserve me for yellow (don't know what shade yet), Rogue, and female? :)

Checkmate forever!

Thanks for the interest guys :D But this is just the IC thread, lacking much information and the SU sheet even because those are in the OOC thread. Which should be in the Lounge and maybe just got overlooked, or it disappeared and I'll have to resubmit it.

Your reservations are valid though!

EDIT: trying to get Skymin or someone to see if the OOC thread is still unapproved in the Lounge :p I promise there's more story and explanations in there than here so just ignore this thread for now, please :p

Ahem, with that being said I'm reserving the yellow, Rogue, and female.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
Ok everybody calm down :D

I iz smart and look for OOC threads. ANYWAY. I'm interested. Male Black Rogue sounds fun. Let's reserve me for that one!
You cannot be black or white, just so you know :3 Also, Retro gets dibs on Rogue because he already posted a reservation in the IC + he's one of my old Checkmates ;D So you'll have to pick KNIGHT or PRIEST. You can be a male though.

I didn't see the OOC thread when I checked earlier. And I'm going to change my reservation to a purple, female Mage.
Done!

Ahem, with that being said I'm reserving the yellow, Rogue, and female.
Done! Glad to see you're in :D

Reserving the bard and male! And the color red too!
Ohoho I'm so seeing Vinnie coming back. ;) Done!

Vato

This Is Our Last Goodbye
Years
I is fun, I is kind, I is smart, ACCEPT ME! :D
... Anyways ...
Hey, look! The OOC finally showed up!
Can I has a reservation for Priest with green? Also, it's a male :3

Last edited:

Legend

Kingslayer
Years
Well since all the reservations are filled up, I will hang back and let everyone enjoy. Real life will probably get in the anyway. Good luck everybody.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
I is fun, I is kind, I is smart, ACCEPT ME! :D
... Anyways ...
Hey, look! The OOC finally showed up!
Can I has a reservation for Priest with green? Also, it's a male :3
Consider yourself reserved!

Can i reserve a female brown Knight please?
Yes :D

Well since all the reservations are filled up, I will hang back and let everyone enjoy. Real life will probably get in the anyway. Good luck everybody.
Awh. Sad to see you go but I'm happy this went so civil :)

Lt. Col. Fantastic

The Arianator
Years

Name: Vincent (Vinnie) Valentine
Color: Red
Class: BARD

Age: 16 (it really doesn't matter too much. If everyone else happens to be 15 or something I'll probably change it to 15 because OCD)
Home: Paris, France (He lives in a grand, four story château on Champs-Élysées)
Family: Vinnie lives with his affectionate, cool Grand-Mère Lillian. He simply calls her Mémé. They have an elderly, Brittish butler named Reginald, who is sort of an Alfred to Vinnie's batman. Vinnie also has a long haired Calico named Rocco. His fur is dark brown, black, and orange-ish. Rocco is notorious for being afraid of everything except Vinnie and cat food.
Theme song: Affection – All American Rejects. Such a beautiful and awesome song :P

EDIT: For more action-y scenes, and for a better representation of Vinnie's kind of music the songs Organ Donor by Zomboy or Promises by Nero could be used. I had trouble finding a song that fit him personality wise but also fit his taste in music, but I couldnt really find any techno or dubstep songs with, you know, meaningful lyrics lol. So these will be alts I guess. Also I'll probably link more songs from time to time, just for whenever I feel like a funkier beat is needed haha. Links below

Good personality traits: Caring, Chivalrous, Sociable, Strong Willed (but not to the point of pointless stubbornness), honest
Bad personality traits: A bit full of himself, tends to freak out in high end situations, paranoid, too affectionate, overly dramatic, somewhat lazy (if he doesn't think something is neccesary, he wont do it)
Interests and hobbies: Playing JRPGs, RTSs, the electric guitar, techno music and dubstep. History, Romance, girls, Reading realistic fiction (like stuff that doesn't involve the supernatural, but still fiction; i.e. Heart of Darkness or the Three Musketeers), and Knights (cuirassiers)

Appearance: Vinnie is fairly tall, just under six feet. He has medium length, dark brown curly hair, which kinda gives him an afro. Efforts to tame his hair have been unsuccessful, so he usually just lets it ride. He has slightly tanned skin, more of a genetic trait than an indicator of spending time outside. His handsome face would be covered in hair if it were not for his daily shaving, something he again can thank his genes. He keeps his beard down to a minimum, without shaving it completely. His eyes are also dark brown, completing the Mediterranean look. As far as build, he is average. Not extremely muscular, but not a stick either. When it comes to clothing, Vinnie pulls all the stops. With the wealth enough for a family of sixteen, Vinnie often finds himself in the position to always buy new clothes. A casual day consists of dark jeans, a V-neck, and a tailored, button-up checkered shirt. More formal occasions call for nothing less than a full tuxedo, always sporting the bowtie.

Warning: picture is huge
Spoiler:

First post:

Spoiler:

Vinnie is back, baby. :P

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
I'll review Vinnie's SU later today, hopefully ^^ Nice to see you have it up so soon!

As for now, I'll just change my color reservation to blue, to even things out since we had yellow, red and brown on top of my orange :D

EDIT: @ Lt Col - okay. Vinnie is all good and you can actually let stuff be written in the leaflet or on the package or something - it doesn't even have to be the same thing written on every copy of the game! Each copy can be somewhat unique, actually.

But, you did not purchase this game. And no NPCs get the game. An anonymous (for now) sender mailed the game to each one of the players, the RPers' main characters. No other people will receive the game until more players join in the case of dropouts (which I hope won't happen of course!). There will be paradox-space reasons for this later.

Told you this wasn't canon Homestuck in every matter :)

So please change it so that Harrison doesn't know about the game ^^

Last edited:

Lt. Col. Fantastic

The Arianator
Years
Haha okay red. I figured something like that would need to be changed. I'll fix it tonight!

EDIT: Okay, I fixed it so Harrison and Vinnie are talking about te new metal gear instead of Chess. And also instead of saying thanks for purchasing on the leaflet it says "you have been chosen to..."

Lol limanya. Wht a coincidence haha

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
Obsolete SU draft ^^

Spoiler:

oh my god lt col i read your su and the first thing i noticed was charlotte

fyi my char is gonna be named charlotte B)
Vinnie's gonna hit on her the moment they meet :p I like that name btw.

Haha okay red. I figured something like that would need to be changed. I'll fix it tonight!

EDIT: Okay, I fixed it so Harrison and Vinnie are talking about te new metal gear instead of Chess. And also instead of saying thanks for purchasing on the leaflet it says "you have been chosen to..."

Lol limanya. Wht a coincidence haha
Works fine now. Vinnie is accepted! Now all you have to do is patiently wait for the rest of us to finish ^^ And maybe try to guess what the game/RP will be like. Ahahah.

Last edited:

Lt. Col. Fantastic

The Arianator
Years
Red's Hawt Chibi Pelippers said:
Works fine now. Vinnie is accepted! Now all you have to do is patiently wait for the rest of us to finish ^^ And maybe try to guess what the game/RP will be like. Ahahah.

Hmmm.....maybe I shall do a bit of guessing. I'm gonna guess our friends velociClamper and the like will be back...or maybe new guys of the same type?

Oh and btw, Im totally going to ask hardly relevent questions in OOC again. You know the ones like...

Why did you guys choose your classes?

;D

no but for real im going to save those for later. pretend you never saw that bolded text.

Vato

This Is Our Last Goodbye
Years
Just so you know, Red. Proper SU construction from my part will not come until this weekend (hopefully), I has too much homework -.-

Have this for now:
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
Yeah, unfortunately I forgot that I was kinda super busy this week with University stuff. I shall have my post done by Saturday Night, which is probably like Sunday Morning/Afternoon for you RHCP. I hope that's okay?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
Hmmm.....maybe I shall do a bit of guessing. I'm gonna guess our friends velociClamper and the like will be back...or maybe new guys of the same type?

Oh and btw, Im totally going to ask hardly relevent questions in OOC again. You know the ones like...

Why did you guys choose your classes?

;D

no but for real im going to save those for later. pretend you never saw that bolded text.
From what the plot looks like now, it would be difficult to include VC or the likes. But we shall see ;)

Also, I chose my class because I somewhat ended up tailoring it for a character that could do unexpected things or lead the way in the RP sometimes, in case you others don't really know what to do now and then ^^ I think my character could have fit well as a Knight or Mage too.

Just so you know, Red. Proper SU construction from my part will not come until this weekend (hopefully), I has too much homework -.-

Good personality traits: Smart.
Virtuoso.
Can easily come up with a plan.
Great sense of humor.
Cheerful.
Honest (perhaps a little bit too honest at times)
Cares for others.
Artistic.

Bad personality traits:
Lazy.
Bad temper.
Overly sarcastic.
Shy.
Tends to make a hell of a mess out of simple things (which is, he tends to complicate things... a lot).
Helps ONLY when convenient.
Selfish
Self-Centered
Most of times rude (but fails to realize he IS being rude)
Absent-Minded.
Cold and Distant.
Okay, well you can't keep all of these good/bad traits because some are contradicting :p

If he is cheerful, I doubt he's cold and distant. If he cares for others, it's strange that he's self-centered or at least selfish. I get the feeling of two opposite people here so please slim the words down to fit better together ^^

@ Retro - okay!

Limanya

Page of Breath
Years
Is it okay for me to put this here for now? The first post isn't done yet, but i wanted to have the rest here XD

Name: Charlotte Kattsburg
Color: Brown
Class: Knight

Home:

Hamburg, Germany. The house is an average sized one, but with a notably large garden. The garden is mostly made up of a big lawn, bordered with plants and bushes, and surrounds the entire house. At the backside of the house is a door to the lawn, although it can be entered at the front side too. If you enter the garden via the backside, a terrace is there with stone stairs leading down to the actual lawn. There is also a trampoline and a swing set at that side.

Family: Sister named Iris, 'Mutti' named Elise, four parrots named Amethyst, Smaragd, Saphir and Rubin.

Theme song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSGcl0WuCr8 and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_hUuLQ8CVY

Good personality traits:

Charlotte is a creative kind of person, often coming up with good ideas if her usual method of solving something does not work. Her creativity also has caused her passion for playing the flute, but it does not have any effects on her skill. She is also quite intelligent, especially on the subject of languages, learning multiple languages at the same time. She could speak fluent English when she was only eight years old, even though her main language is German. She has impressed many people with her skills, even having gone as far as only speaking English for one day when she was ten years old. Another thing that either may have caused or has been caused because of her intelligence is her impressive memory. She easily remembers the small details of things that have happened a long time ago. Her memory is mostly useful for tests, because she is able to start studying for it only two days before the test and still get good grades. Charlotte often uses her intelligence to impress people by using her extensive vocabulary and thus gain what she wants, while she only has to make people think she is the smarter one.

Bad personality traits:

Charlotte has a tendency to quickly burst out into rage fits, which often take a while for her to stop. These can be triggered by something as simple as things not quite going the way she likes. Sometimes she just gets really annoyed by things, but if she gets angry after that the raging becomes worse. These tantrums vary, from screaming, keymashing and cursing to literally flipping tables. Also, she is quite aggressive, even when not enraged. Often her first idea will be brute force, and this has gotten her in quite a few fights. She also is a bit lazy with the things she needs to do, only doing the bare minimum and getting others to do her work for her. She usually starts those things at the very last moment, which is a large risk for her and the others involved in it. Charlotte is quite manipulative, lying and sometimes even blackmailing to get whatever she wants.

Interests and hobbies:

Charlottes main interest is birds. Specifically parrots, although she is quite the fan of other birds too. For this reason, she keeps four parrots at home which Charlotte likes to consider her most prized possession. She also owns several books about how to keep and care for them, but most books about birds that she owns contain information on a miscellaneous selection of birds. Another interest Charlotte has is playing the flute. She has been on flute lesson since a year, although she wanted to learn how to play it since she was nine years old. Charlotte has one at home which she got from her grandmother shortly before she passed away, but she rarely plays it and uses the cheap one her mother bought for her. Every Wednesday she goes to her flute lessons. Her final big interest is playing video games, a thing she considers very normal for any teenager. She owns various platforms, although she has taken a liking to handhelds. She has a large box of games at home, and most of them are RPGs, but she also owns several other genres. She rarely plays games on her computer, but she enjoys MMORPGs and other multiplayer games.

Appearance:
Charlotte is a little bit taller than the average person of her age, but still leaning more towards the normal than the extreme. She is a bit on the chubby side, and relatively flat-chested. Her hair reaches to her shoulders, and is colored golden blond. Although her mother prefers her to wear a ponytail, Charlotte often disobeys and keeps her hair the way it is: slightly wavy with only tiny bangs. Her eyes are brown, and there are a few light freckles around her nose. Charlotte wears glasses, which she often cleans. She utterly dislikes make-up and never wears any. The same goes for jewellery. Her clothing style consists of mostly black, but she sometimes wears brighter clothes. Her favourite outfit is made out of a black vest, a black shirt and jeans that are only slightly damaged. She only has two pairs of shoes, black boots and blue shoes. She only rarely wears the black boots for she greatly prefers the blue ones.

First post:

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Back