Thread: [Discussion] New Religions
View Single Post
Old April 21st, 2013, 12:32 PM
SaniOKh
The Cynical Completionist

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
Since the newest religions can trace their foundings to specific people and writings, would you say that these founding people set out to scam/joke with people?
I don't know about other new religions, but in case of Scientology, it's so obviously a scam it hurts, especially since before creating Scientology, L Ron Hubbard wrote... drum roll... science fiction! Which is exactly what the whole Xenu story is. Not to mention that before he created Scientology, he on numerous occasions expressed his desire to get rich by starting a religion (read more here) .

On an almost unrelated note, I recently watched quite a few documentaries on cults in Russian-speaking countries (myself being born in one, of course I'm interested ). From all that I can see that there are two types of people who create cults: schemers like Hubbard and lunatics. Let me give you an example of a cult being ran by both: Usmalos, also known as "White Brotherhood", founded by a man who studied psychology and techniques of mind manipulation, and a woman who believed she was told she was God while being high on drugs (ironically, during an abortion) .

I think you can see now why I can't trust modern religions. I trust older religions even less, because the people who wrote those books did it in an age when people knew much, much less about the world than we do today. As I like to say, "The Bible was written by people who thought the Earth was flat".