View Single Post
Old April 30th, 2013, 03:41 PM
Dradier234

Nature: Careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varion View Post
not to nit pick.

But I'm very sure, Steven isn't 49.

You've said it's 32 years before R/B/G witht he adventures of the 17 year old Steven. :/

Unless I've read it wrong?
I'll change to 43 years, sorry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickalooose View Post
You're not wrong... This is what I was getting at... I really dislike the idea of using Steven in the past.

:D

Just because you had an idea that is similar to someone else's idea doesn't mean you should stop... Unless you literally read about his game then changed a little, then yeah, I'd stop haha.

Getting bored and quitting is a sign of failure, sorry to tell you that.

If they are just sharpening your skills, why keep making new threads for them, knowing they will only last a week or so... People will be less inclined to comment or help if they notice you don't last longer than a bag of skittles on 1 project... Development is looooooong, there is no chance you will ever complete a game in a month or so, that is worth playing, if you get bored, maybe you should join a team instead of creating a team, seems you have no discipline, and will more than likely get bored of this one too... There is plenty wrong with making lots of projects.
Time consuming.
Too many ideas in your head.
Extra work load.
shows lack of attention.
blah blah blah.

Then quit...

Good idea.

Slow because of other games, or?

Normal?

Efficiently? Wisely? As far as I'm aware, just make maps, events, battles and encounters... It's just a long process, there is no place to be efficient or wise, you don't even have to be smart, imagination is the key, everything you need (i.e. how to make a wild encounter, trainer battles etc.) is on Wiki.

I don't think anyone will be impressed if you use Raptor as a base idea for your game...
I'll tell you what Steven would have looked like 32 years before r/b/g... Click this link...

It is, don't get me wrong, it is a good feature... But it's common among Essentials... Let's just see how you work it shall we (if you get that far), since I won't be using it.

Because your basing your game 32 years before r/b/g, which I don't remember encountering a Victini, if you know where it is, tell me so I can get it...
red=unlikely

It wasn't an idea for you to use...

Oh my days... So you have no progress... Come on! Just stick to one project, for as long as possible, if you find yourself beginning to get bored or people are uninterested, let the games die in piece, and join another project... I'm working on a game alone, except for help from Maruno, FL ., and a couple other people who contribute/help, here and there... So far my game has taken me around 6 months I guess, however, I've had 2 games since a long time ago, 1 died because of a dead hard drive, and now my recent one... The one that died was unfortunate since it was like a week off being a full game... The one I'm on now is probably a month or so, from being a complete game... Depending how much I work on it.

I glimpsed over it...

If you want my advice, here it is, I will spoiler it, so you don't have to read it.
Spoiler:

Work on one project or join another team.
Kick Steven out the game.
If you want to use Steven, I suggest you make a game a couple years before he became champion and work up to a climax, that is him being the champion... Also, Steven has a standard team, he doesn't use Pachirisu or Raikou... So again, if you use Steven, YOU will have to control the outcome of his Pokémon origins, which could work, if you do it right, I created a 15 minute game once for school and it used a process of playing through Ash's life, how he claimed Pikachu, Pidgeotto, Caterpie, etc... Turned out it was a good idea and almost everyone loved it, minus the few who couldn't capture their favorite Pokémon... And that's when I got into development.
Make progress, need help, post here... Almost everyone here is willing to help... Even myself, providing it's worth my time to help, I'm not going to help a dead project or a project I can see will take a dive.
You've got the ideas, your using them on the wrong character though, create a new one or base your game more around Steven's era.
Don't use all Gen I-V, Pokémon, just use a couple generations, every one of the games that have demos, DO NOT, use a lot of Pokémon, and when my game has a thread and stuff, I won't be either... Sometimes, less is more.

Try and complete a couple maps, starter Pokémon, encounters and a couple events, and post progress here, once you have those down, your 2% complete with your game, all you need now is another 20 towns or cities and 25 routes and voila, game complete, easy, no? (obviously don't make 40 maps worth or towns and cities + routes, do what you have planned), maybe even do things in a routine;
  • make the maps. (because... You need them.)
  • make the encounters. (^ self explanatory)
  • make the battles. (because you have the encounters there to give you a base on what level trainer Pokémon should be)
  • make the events. (because you need a region with life, right?)
  • make the story events. (this is your game, right?)
What's left? Releasing the game... Boom! You're done... Don't give yourself too much work load... It's as simple as 5 points.

Well, I'm stopping because I just felt uncomfortable using his resources and similar story line.
I read your suggestions, and I think I have a couple things to point out..

Getting bored isn't a sign of failure, you get bored on your 10 page essay, doesn't mean a failure, it just means you need some time off of whatever your doing..

PTS and PCM ARE big projects, I also worked on other small projects, and those were for practice. I know games are so looooong, and I know its gonna take much more than a month to finish them, my other small projects are probably not gonna get published anyways, its just for fun and stuff to do on free time, in fact, most of my projects are just for fun... I actually worked on both PTS and PCM for a year before I quit because of boredness. Too many ideas in your head... I actually agree with you there, but I don't think working on 2 projects at a time will really be a problem.

Slow because I have another project.. and because I haven't really started making the game yet, because right now its only an idea.

Also I think this project will be more successful since I'm not developing this alone.

So I have no progress, yah, this is a growing idea.. It might take months till I actually gather enough resources and plot. Thats also why progress is slow.

Quote:
Work on one project or join another team.
Kick Steven out the game.
If you want to use Steven, I suggest you make a game a couple years before he became champion and work up to a climax, that is him being the champion... Also, Steven has a standard team, he doesn't use Pachirisu or Raikou... So again, if you use Steven, YOU will have to control the outcome of his Pokémon origins, which could work, if you do it right, I created a 15 minute game once for school and it used a process of playing through Ash's life, how he claimed Pikachu, Pidgeotto, Caterpie, etc... Turned out it was a good idea and almost everyone loved it, minus the few who couldn't capture their favorite Pokémon... And that's when I got into development.
Make progress, need help, post here... Almost everyone here is willing to help... Even myself, providing it's worth my time to help, I'm not going to help a dead project or a project I can see will take a dive.
You've got the ideas, your using them on the wrong character though, create a new one or base your game more around Steven's era.
Don't use all Gen I-V, Pokémon, just use a couple generations, every one of the games that have demos, DO NOT, use a lot of Pokémon, and when my game has a thread and stuff, I won't be either... Sometimes, less is more.

Try and complete a couple maps, starter Pokémon, encounters and a couple events, and post progress here, once you have those down, your 2% complete with your game, all you need now is another 20 towns or cities and 25 routes and voila, game complete, easy, no? (obviously don't make 40 maps worth or towns and cities + routes, do what you have planned), maybe even do things in a routine;
make the maps. (because... You need them.)
make the encounters. (^ self explanatory)
make the battles. (because you have the encounters there to give you a base on what level trainer Pokémon should be)
make the events. (because you need a region with life, right?)
make the story events. (this is your game, right?)

What's left? Releasing the game... Boom! You're done... Don't give yourself too much work load... It's as simple as 5 points.
I looked over your advice, I'm pretty sure 200 pokemon isn't that much, its a goal for me to add 200 pokemon overall when I finish the game, and I want to add different varieties of Pokemon. Steven will stay, and I'd rather have Steven as a kid be the protagonist. 1 project at atime is basicly what it is for now, because I'm not really doing anything with Pokemon Draconite for now but brainstorming ideas. I looked at this though,
Quote:
make the maps. (because... You need them.)
make the encounters. (^ self explanatory)
make the battles. (because you have the encounters there to give you a base on what level trainer Pokémon should be)
make the events. (because you need a region with life, right?)
make the story events. (this is your game, right?)
and I think I can use this, thanks!
Quote:
Because your basing your game 32 years before r/b/g, which I don't remember encountering a Victini, if you know where it is, tell me so I can get it...
red=unlikely
No, the Red\Blue\Green adventures never said there was a Victini out there, maybe it wasn't discovered by Oak yet, maybe Oak just didn't tell you about it. Now that's called imagination. If you think me getting a spriter is unlikely, so be it...

Quote:
I don't think anyone will be impressed if you use Raptor as a base idea for your game...
I'll tell you what Steven would have looked like 32 years before r/b/g... Click this link...
NOT using as a base idea, just using as a example because it has Steven in it...

Overall, I'm pretty sure that you think I'm just a noob developer that doesn't know how to use my time and is too rushed, and basicly doesn't know much bout game dev, and makes worthless projects, if so, I ask you to wait patiently and oversee the outcome of this game. Thankyou though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokemoner2500 View Post
Even though I have my game I can beta test this if you would like. Also love the storyline.
Thanks. You are added.

Last edited by Dradier234; June 2nd, 2013 at 04:54 PM.