View Single Post
Old May 2nd, 2013, 04:26 PM
Link
Rupee Moderator

Okay, before you question my opinions, I do this for a living and have qualifications from W3Schools in 3 languages, on top of studying this as my major. But if you want to be a web developer, you need to actually be able to design. There's no two ways about it, a client is very, very rarely going to come to you with a design already at hand. Reason being, people don't want to pay two different designers to work on their site, they want to have one person to do it all. So what I'd recommend is studying the the most important parts of web design, you can't actually go into a design blind and say "yeah that looks good". There's at least 9 important principals you need to consider. Most of which are seen here. Don't bother learning to code full websites until you learn the elements of design required to do them.

Knowing the code is all well and good, but if you don't know how to use it, there's no point. Pretty much everything in the tutorial I linked above is to do with the design and not the code. Coding a website (overly complex ones aside) is only about 20% of the importance. The ability to use CSS/HTML is commonplace nowadays on the web, however the ability to design is much more sought after. Start with that page, look up some other tutorials on Google for design advice.