View Single Post
Old May 10th, 2013, 12:33 PM
dudebot
Glowing Yellow

Nature: Bold
Send a message via Skype™ to dudebot
Generally, when a writer knows what they're doing, they'll find a way to keep you interested. Usually reading a story that comes off as forced will turn the reader off of the story all together.

For me in particular, it's about the bounds of imagination. If I read a story that described every single nook and cranny, I would eventually stop reading it. The writer has created a world all their own. Rather than letting me submerse myself in my perspective of this world, they've made sure to establish everything for me.

Likewise, I don't enjoy reading stories that have too litte description. For example, if someone was writing a battle and didn't explain the setting, intensity, or even the emotion of the characters in said battle, then I can't properly imagine it. I don't know what they were going for.

It's all about a balance. Describe the area, but don't lock the properties exclusively. Tell me the grass is green and long. Tell me that the long, dark green grass is consistently blown by the wind as the dew moves from blade to blade. Don't tell me that the dark green grass blowing in the wind was grown by an old farmer who eventually moved away, hence why it is so long. Don't tell me that this time of the year is normally relatively windy. All of that is usually unnecessary and I can't stand that. Once you take away and describe every single part that I would normally leave to my imagination, I kinda feel like the story is more of one that you wanted to tell rather than one you wanted me to read.

There's nothing wrong with extra description either. Seeing too much of it in a single story, however, would just be plan off-putting.