Thread: Animal Cruelty
View Single Post
Old May 12th, 2013 (05:37 AM).
EGKangaroo
Tail-bumps for all 'roolovers!

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to EGKangaroo Send a message via Skype™ to EGKangaroo
"The French have already discovered that the blackness of the skin is no reason why a human being should be abandoned without redress to the caprice of a tormentor [see Louis XIV's Code Noir]... What else is it that should trace the insuperable line? Is it the faculty of reason, or, perhaps, the faculty of discourse? But a full-grown horse or dog is beyond comparison a more rational, as well as a more conversable animal, than an infant of a day, or a week, or even a month, old. But suppose the case were otherwise, what would it avail? The question is not Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? but, Can they suffer?"
~Jeremy Bentham

I am staunchly against animal cruelty. People who commit such acts upon animals are repugnant individuals and vile to commit such an act on a living organism that is practically defenceless. It's sickening sadism and abuse of power against the powerless, and people who intentionally commit such acts, for no benefit, can only do so because of their own insecurity and lust for dominance. These kind of people are a menace to not only the animals they hurt, but to anyone in society is defenceless, and must be regarded as such. These people could not possibly be trusted with kids, with elderly, or anyone physically disabled. Willing cruelty towards animals is sickening and a cowardly form of terror on those who cannot fight back.

My stance on animal testing is simple. It's a necessary evil, because we haven't yet developed the means to do these same experiments without the need for living organisms, but we should invest in research to make that ideal reality. I would be inclined to disagree with the typical straw animal rights activist who'd go about his daily life breaking into laboratories to vandalise the place and free all the animals, but for cosmetic testing, I feel that some justice has been done. Medicinal experimentation is acceptable, cosmetic experimentation is unforgiveable, and akin to the thousands of factory farms. In most cases medicinal researchers who experiment on animals take great caution in ensuring the comfort of the animal. It is wrongful to think that the people who have to perform the experiments do so with the same kind of sadism as the abusive man who lets his dog starve. They might actually love the animal, even feel sorry for causing it harm, for they are not, like him, inherently malignant abusers of power.

We must recognise, as a human species that we share this planet with millions of other types of lifeforms, and each hold their own individual interests. We never lived in a world that was made to formfit to our needs and no animal is inherently made to serve our needs. We are a species that evolved through adaptation, in a world that did not adapt to us. And now, at our heighest point, we've come to discover that we -can- make the world adapt to us, and the consequences have been horrifying. Never before did man eat so much meat, more than even is necessary to live a healthy life. More animals than ever are driven out of their homes, and are forced to adapt to us, a species that has no wish to adapt itself. We have ourselves, and a select group of animals we've deemed acceptable to take into our lives, and all other animals are resources, or eye candy for our zoos. Animals close to 10 billion are slaughtered every year in the USA alone. Meat production in the USA is comparable in size to that of the entirity of Africa. It is neither necessary, nor explicitly healthy to consume meat every day and historically, people didn't eat it everyday. We humans are omnivores, and even as a vegetarian I recognise that, and that my full abstention from meat-eating is purely personal, and should stay that way. However, we devour it like carnivores. Our unsustainable consumption has led to the most unbearable conditions in which our animals are kept. Factory farms are the very essence of what is wrong with the contemporary views on animal rights.

"And they tell me there are people who are normal, but I don't know what they look like because I've never met one. And neither have you, so why not compare yourself to real people instead?"
"Three lives of a gamer: the first'll be your best, because you can always restart if it isn't; the second pales in comparison, and the game will cheat you out; but the third one's going to be better, because it gets do or die from then."