View Single Post
Old May 14th, 2013, 06:35 PM
Inkblots

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
Yeah but to be fair, asexual is not a common thing. About 0.05% of everyone I've ever known is asexual, so it helps explain why most of society has no idea what it is.

When you explain it, all you have to say (without going into the specifics because I don't know your case) is, "I am not sexually/romantically attracted to anyone, period." (If that's your case).

Short and sweet and it stops people from saying that stuff.

But again I wish people would be more conscious of the different sexualities, but please do remember that a lot of people are hard headed and will say "oh you haven't met the right gal/guy that's why you don't like any of them.
Oh yeah, I do understand that it's uncommon, and thus not many people have heard of it, and I don't mind that so much. It's the fact that most people I've met aren't satisfied with the "I'm not sexually or romantically attracted to people" explanation, and seem to require proof that I am what I say I am. I haven't had it nearly as bad as some aces, and definitely not as bad as gay/bi/pan individuals, I'll admit that, but even my best friend told me that I "don't get out enough" when I came out to her (she quickly apologized when I gave her "the look" and has been supportive since, but still...). A couple of other friends asked if it could be a hormonal problem, and a few just continue to treat me as though I'm completely straight. It's just kind of discouraging, you know? And it's part of why I still haven't come out to my immediate family, because I KNOW that I'll get the "you're too young to know what you want/WE MUST GET YOU TO A DOCTOR" lecture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenneking View Post
Labeling can get a bit out of hand. Especially with the whole top vs bottom (or "versatile" dilemma; I've been asked by friends or acquaintance all of the time, which one I am. This is even common amongst gay circles.

I just want to say, do I ask you explicit details about your sex life? It's just assumed that the man is the top and the woman is the bottom in the relationship, it's easier for many people to help explain behavior they have little knowledge of more concretely and in terms that they understand better such as the sex dichotomy of heterosexuality. Though in some relationships, there is a clear dichotomy of dominance, a lot of the time there is not.
Oh god, I hear ya. One of the most common questions I get asked (online anyway, I have yet to have met someone ballsy enough to ask me in person): "so... do you masturbate?"

Um, excuse me? Since when is that an appropriate question to ask a complete stranger? I don't mind if someone asks something like that along the lines of of "In general, do aces do this?" but to ask me directly if I do it? Uh, no. Sometimes I might volunteer personal information when being asked a general question, but otherwise, no. My personal life is none of your business, thank you.

Last edited by Inkblots; May 14th, 2013 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.