View Single Post
Old May 17th, 2013, 06:35 PM
Inkblots

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVida View Post
Today (May 17), it's International Day Against Homophobia, Biphobia and Transphobia.

In my town, most of the trams have been carrying a rainbow flag all week. That's pretty sweet.

By the way, what do you do about people who don't believe in your sexuality (in my case, it's bisexuality)? I just had someone telling me (after stating that I'm bisexual) that there is no such thing. Pretty rude, huh.
This happens a lot to aces too. We're told that (a) there's something medically wrong with us (b) we're just "late bloomers", or (c) it's an excuse to cover up for the fact that we can't get a date. One of the things that I've noticed has worked when logic and reason fails is, first, don't get too defensive about it. If possible - and I know it sounds mean, but hey, they're invalidating you, and that's pretty douchey - act like they're a complete moron for not believing that your sexuality exists. Give them a completely incredulous "Really? You seriously think this doesn't exist?" Be patronizing and dismissive. Act like they're the first person you've ever met who doesn't believe you. If you make it seem like you've encountered the arguments they're presenting before, then they will (usually uncounsciously) take this as evidence that there are other people who believe the same as they do, and that therefore, they are right and you are wrong.

Most people like to think they're the smartest and most knowledgeable person in the room. The more you try to argue with them, the more they're going to argue back just for the sake of winning the argument and proving themselves right (even if, through the course of the argument, they realize they're wrong). It's tricky, but often the best way to get them to come around is to make them doubt their own argument by acting as though it's so ridiculous, it isn't even worth your time to respond, rather than to actually prove them wrong. You want them to come to the conclusion that they're wrong on their own, so they don't come to resent you and cement their belief even further just out of spite.

Last edited by Inkblots; May 17th, 2013 at 06:40 PM.