View Single Post
Old May 17th, 2013, 09:48 PM
Fairy
believe

an artists guide to
Traditional and Digital Drawing
brought to you by Alexial

Welcome!

Hello my lovely artists! I have decided to create my own page of artistic resources! Here, I have compiled some websites for you all to use on your journey to becoming a better traditional / digital artist! But, before anything, take a moment to view some of our other lovely amenities.

Already know what you're doing? Hungry to share you talents?

Are you here to show us a sneak peak of your latest WIP?

Just want to find out what other artists are up to?

Need a refresher course on your sick gfx skills?

Without further ado, please enjoy my collection of tutorials, resources, explanations, and anything that's generally art related that can help you further yourself creatively. These resources are not mine, of course, rather they have been complied on behalf of A&D. So, once you've read through all of them and practiced your skill, post a gallery!

Yours Truly,
- The A&D Team

The Seven Elements of Art
[Line]
Line is defined as a mark that spans a distance between two points (or the path of a moving point), taking any form along the way. As an art element, line pertains to the use of various marks, outlines and implied lines in artwork, most often used to define shape in two-dimensional work. A line is one-dimensional and can vary in width, direction, and length as well as horizontal, vertical, or diagonal, straight or curved, thick or thin. They lead your eye around the composition and can communicate information through their character and direction.

[Shape]
Shape pertains to the use of areas in two-dimensional space that can be defined by edges, setting one flat specific space apart from another. Shapes can be geometric (e.g.: square, circle, hexagon, etc.) or organic (such as the shape of a puddle, blob, leaf, boomerang, etc.) and are defined by the other elements of art.

[Form]
Form may be created by the merging of two or more shapes or as a three-dimensional shape (cube, pyramid, sphere, cylinder, etc.) and illustrate the height, width, and depth. Examples of these are sculpture, theater play and figurines. Form is the external appearance of a clearly defined area.

[Value]
Value, or tone, refers to the relative degree of light and dark, shade and highlight, in an artwork. Some people also refer the lightness and darkness in an artwork as tints (light) and shades (dark). Black-and-white photography depends entirely on value to define its subjects. Value is directly related to contrast.

[Texture]
The texture is the quality of a surface, often corresponding to its tactile character, or what may be sensed by touch. Texture may be used, for example, in portraying fabrics. It can be explicitly rendered, or implied with other artistic elements such as lines, shading, and variation of color. It is also about the different patterns and types of lines and shading e.g.: rough, smooth, soft.

[Color]
Color pertains to the use of hue in artwork. Defined as primary colors (red, yellow, blue) which cannot be mixed in pigment from other hues, secondary colors (green, orange, violet) which are directly mixed from combinations of primary colors. Further combinations of primary and secondary colors create tertiary (and more) hues.

[Space]
Space is the area provided for a particular purpose. Space includes the background, foreground and middle ground, and often refers to the distances or areas around, between or within things. There are two types of space: positive and negative space. Positive space refers to the space of a shape representing the subject matter; while Negative space refers to the space around and between the subject matter. Space is also defined as the distance between identifiable points or planes in a work of art.
Resources

Illustration Programs

I assume most of you reading this already have some sort of illustration or design program. However, this is probably the best place to begin an introduction to drawing. These are all free, online programs for budding and veteran artists alike.

[GIMP]

[Paint.net]

[Artweaver]

Color Theory

The Dimensions of Color by David Briggs
[The Dimensions of Color]
This is probably one of the best resources on serious color theory. It covers in detail everything from the basics of light and shade to subtractive color mixing. Not only will it teach you the "dos and don'ts" of color theory, but it will teach you how to apply it best through your respective art program / canvas.

Color Scheme Designer 3
[link to page]
Having a hard time deciding what colors would compliment your existing ones? This fun little tool will help you decide!

Anatomy

The Breakthrough Figure Drawing Course by Riven Phoenix
[Beginner : "Invention to Human Skeleton"]
[Intermediate + Advanced : "The Structure of Man"]
Beginner tutorials cover skeleton frames and muscles, while the intermediate and advanced lessons span from gesture drawing systems to conceptual illustration drawing techniques. It's a little difficult to navigate the website, but it's worth it. Be prepared to watch a lot of videos.

Drawing Hands by 'majnouna on deviantART
[link to image]
It's a gigantic image, but it's a really comprehensive tutorial about the basics of hand drawing down to the different kinds of hands, dramatic poses, and the general "dos and don'ts". 'majnouna really breaks down hand drawing without being too preoccupied with Da Vinci-esque anatomy.

How to Draw Hands by Drawn in Black
[link to page]
Another tutorial on hand drawing, only this one includes an excellent collection of drawn and photo references. Definitely worth looking at if you're having a problem identifying what pose is best for you piece.

Posemaniacs
[link to page]
Posemaniacs has a gigantic list of image thumbnails for you to choose from if your having trouble creating that dramatic emphasis!

ARTNATOMY
[link to page]
This awesome, interactable page breaks down the individual muscular structures of the face. While it doesn't put any particular emphasis on shading or lighting, it will make sure that all of your facial expressions and anatomy is spot on. Versions available for both novice and advanced artists.

How to Draw Fight Scenes by koizu
This video was brought to my attention by Derozio and is an excellent tutorial on how to draw dynamic, epic battle scenes. A must watch for all artists!

Perspective

Conceptart.org
[Perspective Assignment]
Conceptart.org is probably one of the best resources out there, but I really didn't want to overload you guys with it. This thread covers different assignments where artists test theories of perspective. It touches on pretty much everyone one needs to know about perspective with visual examples.

The Perspective Tutorial by ~sashas on deviantART
[link to image]
~sashas, also featured on conceptart.org, created a great 101 crash course on perspective. It's an easy read, but will teach you how to really flex backgrounds and foregrounds.

Perspective Drawing - Linear and Aerial Perspective
[link to page]
This awesome little site gives a comprehensive definition of perspective and covers everything from one, two, and three point perspective to picture and ground planes. It's definitely worth checking out if you want a refresher course on the subject. Just follow the links provided for different articles.

Shading & Lighting

Manipulation Secrets #3 - Shading and Lighting by Andrei Oprinca
[Photoshop Tutorial]
This tutorial is aimed directly at photoshop users, but I figured it deserved a place in here. It's great for understanding what "that button" does as opposed to "this tool" and how to use them both effectively.

Giant Shading Tutorial by *TamberElla on deviantART
[link to image]
While showcasing animals, this tutorial still covers different styles of shading with multiple light sources (including none) from different angles along with various colors. It's usefulness can be applied to human anatomy, as well.

Artist Daily's "Shading Techniques Beyond Cross Hatching"
[link to PDF]
This nifty little PDF won't teach you how to identify what kind of shading looks right according to where the light is positioned.. but it will tell you appropriate pencil gradation and value. It's definitely worth reading if you're a little heavy handed.

General Art; Communities

PSG Art Tutorial
[a little bit of everything]
Can't put your finger on why your drawing looks weird? Check out this art tutorial. It'll help you prioritize your thoughts and really get the ball rolling on your artistic basics.

ConceptArt.org
[link to forum]
These guys are really great. There's so much information here (well more than what I've gathered for this thread) as well as an entire community of artists. They offer lessons, critiques, events.. pretty much everything you need! It's also worth mentioning that mostly everything from this tutorial and more can be found at ConceptArt.

Rate My Drawings
[link to forum]
It's exactly what it sounds like. Only these guys include some great tutorials along with a solid critiquing community.

DeviantART
[link to community]
Everyone knows about this one, but I'm honor bound to include it.

Collectives
Compiled by Abnegation. These links showcase the works of different groups of artists. If you're looking for inspiration -- this is where you want to go.

[http://www.hystericalminds.com]

[http://www.intrinsicnature.net//]

[http://prismacollective.com/]

[http://www.cosmosys.net/]

Digital Resources

Photoshop Brushes
Here you can download a plethora of Photoshop brushes.

[brushking]

[dzineblog]

[acrisdesign]

[photoshopbrushes]

[brushdirectory]

Photoshop Tutorials

This covers a little bit of everything when it comes to using Photoshop effectively. Use these links to search for tutorials on exactly what you're looking to do / improve on.

[psdvault]

[speckyboy]

[photoshopsupport]

[noupe : ultimate photoshop toolbox]

So, get started!
I encourage you all to post your resources here! Share whatever websites or applications you use to help you draw and I'll add them to the list. And please remember to bare with us while this thread is expanding and evolving. I want to do my best to represent Art & Design as well as our younger artists, so please -- get involved!

If you have any questions, comments or grievances please contact :
Abnegation or Alexial

Thanks for reading!
pixel joint x friend code x dream address

Last edited by Fairy; December 12th, 2013 at 11:11 PM.