View Single Post
Old May 26th, 2013 (2:10 AM).
♥ Cammybear ♥
Crystal TierCS
Nature: Gentle
Originally Posted by AnonygooseD View Post
Oh, well thanks for that explanation Belldandy
But I must tell you, covering the hair isn't mandatory in Islam, many Islamic authorities in my country years ago said that you don't have to wear Hijab or anything similar as long as you wear suitable clothes that don't grab everyone's attention & have them looking at you inappropriately... And the "shaving hair" part isn't true, I read the Quran each year & I've never stumbled upon a verse that says that women should "explicitly" cover their hair or else shave it, but I guess I'm from the few who still believe in that these days :/
Here a specific one from the Bible (Corinthians somewhere):

Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ. Now I commend you because you remember me in everything and maintain the traditions even as I delivered them to you. But I want you to understand that the head of every man is Christ, the head of a wife is her husband, and the head of Christ is God. Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head, but every wife who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head, since it is the same as if her head were shaven...
Since head shaving / short hair was considered masculin and thus bad for a women, it was expected that she cover her hair in order to guard her modesty / "honour."

The Qu'ran is a bit more obscure and perhaps based more on interpretation / historical factors and meetings with Christians who observed headscarfs.

"O Prophet, tell your wives and daughters and the believing women to draw their outer garments around them (when they go out or are among men). That is better in order that they may be known (to be Muslims) and not annoyed..." (Qur'an 33:59)
The "outer garments" idea is, like I said, obscure, but given in the time period of Mohammed i.e. 600AD it could very well have included scarves. This interpretation probably carried on into present day where some are very "lenient" i.e. hijab while others are clearly more political about it i.e. burka in order to control women's "jobs" and rights in society.

Pending who you talk to, though, that specific verse can either be very pro-hijab or anti-hijab

FC: 4699-7283-5972; IGN: Irène, Etoile; Trade Shop; Trade Reviews