View Single Post
Old May 29th, 2013 (08:40 PM).
living legend
Battle Server
CS

Nature: Adamant
Quote originally posted by Twilight Sky:
I'd also like to point out that while people are bringing up the whole "the topic consists of people whining abut username colors", that (at least in my presence), the topic is actually not that common, at least not as often as people think it is. Does it happen to a point where it's noticeable? Perhaps. However, is it a groundbreaking situation that needs to be dealt with? Not really (at least, not in my perspective).
In my experience the topic has come up daily. I am not very active on the server either. In any event, it's not a groundbreaking situation, yes, but it definitely is a microcosm of...

And usually when it is, it's a topic that goes away fairly easily. I don't see what the problem is bringing up a separate topic to talk about. I just kind of have a problem with this implication that our community is now basically this mix of immature, whiny, color-obsessed children that de-face what S&M "used to be", etc.
...that last sentence. Except I don't have a problem with it at all--I am the person who most often brings it up with the very implication you are taking issue with. The server is a community but it's definitely not a community of S&M. The colors thing is merely a rhetorical tool to illustrate this, and I don't feel guilty at all about using it. It's ridiculous to me that so many trivial things are discussed so frequently--it's no wonder people talk about sex all the time--and there is no substantive appeal to the server whose existence derives from substance. Anyway, like I said, it's not bad itself, it's just a "hey this sort of sums up my point nicely" sort of thing (aka a microcosm of drifting away from the battling community blah blah blah).

Now, I apologize if I'm reading into things too much, or if I'm misinterpreting, but realize that our regulars go to the server for more chatting than battling.
Seeing as it's a server supposedly based in BATTLE Center (or at least the server that supposedly fills its needs) I don't think it's unreasonable at all to find this profoundly troubling. And nah your interpretation was pretty much right on.

That's not to say that they don't battle, they do, it's just significantly less often.
Which is to say "so infrequently that saying they battle is basically a farce." And again, RandBats don't count, seeing as it's nothing more than a whimsical exercise in randomness. I suspect that at this point my dismissive tone is starting to become bothersome, but I'd really just prefer if we all at least owned up to the reality instead of pretending like the battling community is ever going to recover if the server remains the way it is now. Because right now Smogon has more PC battlers than PC does. Hopefully you can at least understand the source of my extreme frustration even if you cannot entirely empathize with it.

I get that it's annoying hearing "your way of enjoying PC is wrong" because that's currently happening with the sex thing on a smaller/more trivial scale but it's not so much that your way is wrong...it's more that your way doesn't represent S&M and its manifestation (the server) should by extension probably not be where the battling community goes. In other words, it's not right/wrong, it's that the battlers' server has been semi-hijacked and now they're screwed and the organization of the forum and its relation to the server is all a big mess.

Heck, I rarely battle myself. Yes, I take responsibility in that, and that I've not really a huge battler like I used to be. I hope to someday make a team eventually, but I just haven't really got around to that yet.
I just hope you don't run off to Smogon when you realize no one is really left who you could use your team against.

Regardless, our community is what it is, and I don't see what can be done to really change that unless we get our regulars into battling again. It seems that, in every Commday that I've participated in, our regulars do seem genuinely interested in battles. What makes battles take so long isn't so much the disinterest: It's the inactivity. People aren't active, don't come on in time to complete their matches, and that creates boredom and disinterest.
We shouldn't have to have an event to make people care about battling in the competitive battling section of PC. The people you speak of are interested in battling the way I am interested in football. I watch a game or two and generally know who is good and whatnot, but I would be absolutely out of place on, say, a football discussion forum since I'm not really into it enough and lack the knowledge...and the willpower to gain it. There's a big difference. It's not that there's anything wrong with that, but again, we shouldn't be pretending that these sorts of people are going to eventually make us active...because then we're perpetuating the same lie that we have been for years.

anyway just to repeat my push: S&M has its own separate server where people can go if they actually want to battle, and if they don't they can stay with the community you speak of which is unquestionably growing and thriving. Then everyone wins.

(I realize I'm attempting to hijack the PG13 discussion. But the demise of this forum's community is a maaaajor problem at this point and imo it starts with the evolution of the server soooo)

Former Strategies and Movesets Moderator | Team Rater & Builder | Community Contributor | Event Coordinator | Battle Server Moderator