Thread: [Gen V] RMT - NU Team
View Single Post
Old June 6th, 2013 (10:39 PM). Edited June 6th, 2013 by Miss Anne Thrope.
Miss Anne Thrope
Disgusted

Nature: Bold
Quote originally posted by PlatinumDude:
Leafeon should use a Jolly nature because base 95 Speed is actually pretty good in NU. EV spread should be 80 HP/252 Atk/176 Spe. Roar's negative priority is also a bit of a detriment to sweeper oriented sets and is better off on defensive ones. Replace it with Substitute (to give Leafeon something else to pass) or Return (to let Leafeon hit Grass resists neutrally).

Setting up manual Hail is a bad idea. None of your Pokémon benefit from it at all. Dewgong's movepool is shallow and it doesn't hit very hard. Jynx provides more offensive presence:
-Ice Beam
-Psychic/Psyshock
-Focus Blast
-Lovely Kiss
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb
Ability:Dry Skin

Or
-Ice Beam
-Psychic
-Trick
-Lovely Kiss/Focus Blast
Item: Choice Scarf
Ability: Dry Skin

Or
-Nasty Plot
-Ice Beam
-Lovely Kiss
-Substitute/Psyshock
Item:Leftovers/Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin

Typhlosion is an RU Pokémon. It can't be used in NU. Find something else; I think you could use a Rapid Spinner on the team to clear the field of entry hazards, like Torkoal:
-Lava Plume
-Rapid Spin
-Stealth Rock (frees up a moveslot for Marowak)
-Yawn
Nature: Bold
EVs: 248 HP/252 Def/8 SDef
Item: Leftovers
Ability: White Smoke

or
-Shell Smash
-Fire Blast
-Earth Power/Hidden Power (Grass)
-Rapid Spin
Nature: Modest/Timid
EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: White Herb
Ability: Shell Armor

Some of your Pokémon are rather fast, so Banette is unnecessary. Something to deal with Psychics, like Skuntank, is ideal in its place:
-Sucker Punch
-Pursuit
-Crunch/Poison Jab
-Taunt
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk/220 SDef/36 Spe
Item: Dread Plate/Black Sludge
Ability: Aftermath

or
-Sucker Punch
-Pursuit/Crunch
-Sludge Bomb
-Hidden Power (Ground)/Fire Blast
Nature: Lonely
EVs: 252 Atk/220 SAtk/36 Spe
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Aftermath

Luxray is meant to be a wallbreaker, and Volt Switch, while tempting, doesn't suit it well, and it's meant as a scouting move, and scouting isn't Luxray's main job here:
-Facade
-Wild Charge
-Crunch
-Superpower
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Flame Orb
Ability: Guts

Zangoose is a faster alternative to consider:
-Facade
-Close Combat
-Night Slash
-Quick Attack
Nature: Jolly
Item: Toxic Orb
Ability: Toxic Boost

or
-Swords Dance
-Facade
-Close Combat
-Quick Attack/Night Slash
Nature: Jolly/Adamant
Item: Toxic Orb
Ability: Toxic Boost
If I shouldn't give Leafeon Roar, what Pokemon should I put in front to shove off Pokemon going to use Stealth Rock? I don't have a huge weakness to it, but it's still annoying and I tend to switch.. A lot. Especially if I have no healer Pokemon, I need something to make Stealth Rock **** off... Or at least delay it from happening.

My point of using Dewgong was obviously not to have an Ice type fighter as I was debating whether even to give it an offensive Ice Type move. I like Dewgong and that's why I wanted to use it. If it's not viable, I'm going to use a water type. But it's NU, and Dewgong isn't exactly frail.. I think you underrate it. (I was going to use Luxray with Ice Fang.)

I thought you were lying when you said Typhlosion was RU, because I distinctly remember it being NU. But you're right, it was just NU last gen. And I don't want to use Torkoal. The whole reason I had Leafeon set up to delay or prevent Stealth Rock is because there are only 5 Rapid spinners on NU, of which 2 are useless and the other 3 are in every team so are very predictable. I also wanted to have a strongish Special Attacker on my team. I suppose THIS is where I could put Skuntank, rather than replacing Banette with it.

Banette was the reason I decided to make this team, and the only reason I didn't have Skuntank (one of my favorite Pokemon) was because I decided to use Luxray and Banette who had Dark and Ghost attacks. I wanted to see if I could create a team with Pokemon I liked that could make Banette not complete trash. Plus, Banette isn't used often, so I've got the element of surprise on my hand with it (unless if someone googles Smogon Banette haha)
On another note, are you really sure Marowak is going to be fine without Trick Room? It's speed is pitiful (admittedly it has strong defenses so it might not matter too much.)

I said I didn't want to use Wild Charge. Especially when it's super effective, the recoil is insane. And with Flame Orb? Luxray would be deeeead. I'll consider just replacing it with Zangoose, but I would want to teach Zangoose Ice Punch in case of friggin' Dragonair, Fraxure and that other NFE dragon. I haven't considered Zangoose before, and seeing it's Toxic Boost ability, I think it's an equal replacement.

And thanks for your help, I haven't even made a team in months.