Thread: [Gen V] RMT - NU Team
View Single Post
Old June 7th, 2013, 01:02 AM
Miss Anne Thrope
Disgusted

Nature: Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumDude View Post
Here are a couple things I forgot to mention about Torkoal: it can either support the team by setting up Stealth Rock, forcing switches with Yawn and spreading burns with Lava Plume, or set up Shell Smash and proceed to get rid of the Ghost types that would normally come in to block Rapid Spin with a +2 Fire Blast. In other words, Torkoal is able to perform both offensive and defensive tasks, making the opponent guess what it does. It's still worth considering, but if you're still not convinced, that's fine.
I've seen Torkoal perform, I think it's a good Pokemon and I'm well aware of what it does to poor Haunter. I just don't want to use it because I generally know what it's going to do (Shell Smash, Rapid Spin, Lava Plume and Fire Blast, sometimes I see a Stealth Rock if another of their Pokemon doesn't already have it.) I assume others know too. I'd rather be a tad more unpredictable with less power than be completely predictable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arceus_17 View Post
Dewgong isn't necessary a bad Pokémon, and I'm actually glad I see somebody using it. However you should use it with caution, otherwise it is outclassed by Lapras or Walrein. If you are looking for a Hail inducer/staller, those 2 are generally better options.

Dewgong @Damp Rock
Ev's: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spe
Nature: Calm
Ability: Hydration
- Rain Dance
- Surf
- Encore / Ice Beam
- Rest

This set turns Dewgong into a very effective bulky tank. With rain up, it can use Rest with no fear of falling asleep. Encore prevents it from becoming setup bait for Grass and Water Types, while Ice Beam is a good secondary STAB. The 8 turns of rain can also be used (and should be used) to support your team. Swift Swim users like Golduck, Beartiic or Armaldo or Hurricane/Thunder abusers like Swanna, Articuno or Raichu greatly appreciate Rain support.

PS: If you want to insist on using the Hail Set, use Sleep Talk instead of Snore. Snore is a really bad move for any Pokémon.

- Luxray learns a good physical STAB Wild Charge, which in most cases is better than Volt Switch. Yes, it has a nasty recoil effect, but trust me, it is worthy. Also, if you are using Trick Room, Luxray, being a somewhat slow Pokémon, could use a different Ev distribution of 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def with a Brave Nature. Marowak's nature should also be Brave with 0 Speed Iv's IF you decide to have a Trick Room inducer.

- There are more versatile suiciceTrick Room inducers than Banette. For example, Solrock and Lunatone, can use Trick Room, set up Stealth Rock and use Explosion to send it a Trick Room sweeper unharmed (like Marowak). That way you don't have to waste a Marowak's moveslot with Stealth Rock, instead you may opt for a coverage move like Stone Edge or Double Edge or even Swords Dance if you are feeling gutsy. Mesprit or Beheeyem are also excellent Trick Room inducers (the latter being more offensive while Mesprit plays a more supportive role).

- Note that Baton Passing Swords Dance to Luxray or Marowak isn't usually a very good idea, since they are very slow (outside of Trick Room) and so they will have a very hard time pulling off any attempt to sweep. Perhaps you could switch Leafeon for a Pokémon capable of making good use of the Rain Dewgong summons.

I hope I've helped you
Definitely never even realized that Hydration would prevent it from sleeping. That's awesome! And I thought snore and sleep talk were the same thing. I really need to check these things.

I really, really don't want Wild Charge without some Pokemon knowing Wish (or is it Healing wish? Whichever one can heal the next Pokemon sent out) because it'll die fast.

I thought about Heal Bell or Synthesis for Leafeon instead of Baton Pass, but sided against it since you can't really go wrong boosting someone's attack stat like that.

The Banette will faint after using Trick Room, it'll only last 3-4 turns. I was primarily just using it for Marowak since it's pitifully slow, and since Marowak would probably still have a little work to do when Trick Room ended, I thought it would be best not to hinder it's speed more than need be. For NU, I don't think Luxray's speed is bad enough to need the Trick Room.. It's pretty average for NU.

Anyhow, thanks for the Dewgong advice, I'm either going to use Amomomola with the heal and Luxray with the dumb Wild Charge or the Dewgong you set up with Zangoose- I don't want to risk having a Flame Orb Luxray /and/ have it take a huge chunk of it's health all the time.

Oh and I don't want to replace Banette, I made this whole team for Banette. I know it's not the best choice.

Last edited by Miss Anne Thrope; June 7th, 2013 at 01:17 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.