View Single Post
Old June 13th, 2013, 07:27 PM
Inkblots

Nature: Calm
Okay, I hate to veer off topic, but I just need to vent to real people, even if nobody responds.

So, I work at a small store with what's essentially a skeleton crew of three other employees (including my boss). Being on shift with my boss is always a bit awkward, but I mean, he's a good guy, so I don't mind too much. The other two I've actually started to consider friends, which is huge. It takes me a long time to start to think of someone as a friend.

And then the one guy, who I like working with the most, goes and gets himself fired for doing something that's not only against store policy, but is freaking illegal. And I don't want to get into what he did just for privacy, but when I say that I never, EVER would have expected him to do something like that, it's a huge understatement. I mean, he's been working there the longest other than the manager. He's the guy who's always drilling into us "Don't do this, it'll get you fired," or "Don't do that, you can get fined." And on top of that, telling us how to take precautions to make sure nobody can ever accuse us of doing those things (like making sure to be in front of a camera when doing certain things, and if possible, having another employee act as a witness). And out of the three of them, he's the one I would want to be there to have my back if something went catastrophically wrong and somebody held up the store or there was a fire or something.

And my brain just can't even process this right now. It doesn't help that it just came out of nowhere, with no warning at all. My boss just texted me to call him when I had a minute a few hours after I got home, and told me he'd been fired. I mean, I closed with the guy yesterday. He was supposed to be on shift tonight a couple hours after I left. And I don't even have any way to contact him to find out what the hell happened. I could probably find him on Facebook, he has a fairly unique name, but it's just... what the hell would I say? I send him a friend request just so I can say "What the hell, man? What were you thinking? You're supposed to be Cool Trustworthy Guy, and you go and do this?"

I just keep hoping that it was all a huge mistake, that there was some kind of misunderstanding somewhere and he can have his job back, because I just can't imagine him doing that. And if it's true... God, I don't know. I just don't even know. I feel like somebody just punched me in the gut.

And to make matters worse, I'm now the most senior employee other than the manager. And I've only been working there two months. So that's fantastic. The store's already not reaching the (in my opinion) ridiculous goals head office keeps setting for us, which puts ALL our jobs in jeopardy. This is really gonna help.