View Single Post
Old June 15th, 2013, 11:37 AM
The Dark Avenger
Eye-Catching

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
I think you've got a skewed perception here. All the people I know who have kids have had a harder time getting by because of it. Kids are expensive. Even before they're born you have to buy lots of baby supplies, make lots of doctor's visits, take time off work, pay for tests, and potentially stay in the hospital for a while before the kid is born. One of my friends is in debt because of having two kids. The help she gets just takes some of the bills away, but not all of them, and whatever else she gets in assistance doesn't cover all the other expenses like rent and food and gas for the car, etc.
No one is going to either recognize or admit how much assistance they receive from welfare. These anecdotes are highly subjective in nature. There are just as many stories on the other side that indicate welfare recipients with plasma screen tv's and new vehicles. It is best to look at the data rather than anecdotes.

"the number of households with incomes below the poverty line, the average spending per household in poverty was $61,194 in 2011...If the spending on these programs were converted into cash, and distributed exclusively to the nation’s households below the poverty line, this cash amount would be over 2.5 times the federal poverty threshold for a family of four, which in 2011 was $22,350 ," - Senate Budget Committee note.

For those who don't work, they can receive free health benefits, state/federal welfare, food assistance, housing assistance, free higher education for children, tax-breaks, among other benefits. Many welfare recipients are better off financially than those who do not receive welfare. Thus, given that one is SUBSTANTIALLY more likely to receive such benefits with children without acquiring or seeking a job, it incentivizes having children without seeking employment.