View Single Post
Old June 16th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Esper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenneking View Post
No one is going to either recognize or admit how much assistance they receive from welfare. These anecdotes are highly subjective in nature. There are just as many stories on the other side that indicate welfare recipients with plasma screen tv's and new vehicles. It is best to look at the data rather than anecdotes.
Are there? Or are there just the same stories repeated more often because they seem more outrageous to people? Or are they made up? How many people who are poor, on welfare, say in their own words how good they have it? It always seems like the stories about people living up in welfare are told by other people complaining about them.

Quote:
"the number of households with incomes below the poverty line, the average spending per household in poverty was $61,194 in 2011...If the spending on these programs were converted into cash, and distributed exclusively to the nation’s households below the poverty line, this cash amount would be over 2.5 times the federal poverty threshold for a family of four, which in 2011 was $22,350 ," - Senate Budget Committee note.
I'd like to know who said this, and when, and what the rest of the quote this was taken from is.

Quote:
Many welfare recipients are better off financially than those who do not receive welfare.
I flat out don't believe you. Or at least I don't believe what you're implying from this. I'm sure there are token cases of people being better off, but for the majority I don't believe it is true.

deviantart blog pair