View Single Post
Old June 20th, 2013, 10:03 AM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ 82.

Nature: Relaxed
Ooops I meant for men. For women around 1200 or so. What do you mean by a toning diet? Like toning as opposed to what else? Toning to me is definition, and that would mean fat loss without muscle growth. I think that's what it really boils down to. You can grow some more muscle too, and there's nothing wrong with that, but I think it's a woman thing to look for "tone" and shirk "bulk", but at the end of the day it's just a muscle:fat ratio in my mind.

I'm a really macro guy when I come to this so I don't regulate my meals down to the hour and food, I just make sure my protein:fat:sugar ratio is in reasonable bounds, and count calories in vs. calories out. I'm not sure if regulating what time you eat something is really meaningful where we are right now. I've searched about the best time to eat before a workout, but most of what I've read had to do with comfort and basically involved not throwing up in the middle of a workout.

Spoiler:
Hmm, I might be able to help out with this a little though. When you exercise, you fire up catabolic pathways, allowing your body to break molecules down. This involves glucagon, which does the opposite of insulin, allowing complex sugars to be broken down and glucose to be more easily absorbed by tissues. Glucagon is also stimulated by epinephrine (adrenaline) which is also released during exercise.

When you're at rest though, your body fires up anabolic pathways that build up muscle, including insulin as you already know. What I'm getting at is that eating and exercising stimulates opposing pathways that inhibit one another. So if you eat too much before exercise, your pancreas is releasing insulin inhibiting glucagon, and you won't be able to secrete much epinephrine either - it's that feeling that you don't want to exercise. But if you don't eat at all, maybe you don't have enough blood sugar either. So the compromise here is that you eat enough (or maybe you don't need to eat at all) so you don't faint, but you don't eat whole meals either.

So my advice is just make sure you have enough energy in your system to get you going. If I ate a huge carby meal last night, I'm going for a run before breakfast. If I ate two meals yesterday, there's no way I'm running before I eat brunch.

I don't think the kind of food you eat really affects the way your muscles will look.

I'm sure Fenneking would be a better resource on what toning /is/ since he works out and carb cycles and all that.

I use sugars as a synonym for carbohydrates, cuz I think it's easier to type. Your sandwich looks really healthy actually - okay maybe dependent on the amount of cheese, but still you've got your brown seed bread and leaf so that's okay in my books. Cheese is great for me cuz my house is really carb heavy, such that I actually have to look for fats to eat, so that's where I'm coming from.