View Single Post
Old June 20th, 2013 (02:57 PM).
#britanna

Nature: Sassy
Quote originally posted by thanethane98:
Map Name: Crescita Town
Map Game: Pokemon Firered
Hack Name: Pokemon Aura
Comments: Oh boy, here we go. I haven't done any mapping in quite awhile, and I don't think highly of either of these maps. This one is meant to be the starter town, with the big building being where the player receives their Pokemon. I'd really like some suggestions on how I can break up the general boring feel that the map seems to have right now.
Map:
Spoiler:

Map Name: Dosadan Fields
Map Game: Pokemon Firered
Hack Name: Pokemon Aura
Comments: Once again, I'm pretty disappointed in how this map turned out when I was finished with it. The lower area is meant to be relatively flat, and it's meant to look man made. But I still think something more could be done to make it look better. The forest area on the other hand looks a lot better in my opinion, and I'm not really worried as much about that one. Still, I'd love some suggestions on how to improve anything on this map.
Map:
Spoiler:
Map 1

Rating: 7/10
Reason/Suggestions:
Spoiler:
It's a pretty decent start. For someone who hasn't mapped in a while, it could be worse. I'd try to variate the placement of the buildings. I'd really recommend that the bottom left building be moved off of the tree border and closer to the left side of the path, or isolated from behind and partially from the side by trees. Speaking of trees, I'd place a few errant loner trees in grassy patches and make them out of line with the border to give it a natural feel. Also, expanding a few random trees from the borders would give it the same feel. The fence really doesn't fit that well. Maybe instead of having one large, fenced off area, you could add mini-fences around the houses. Good placement would probably be close to the front of the house and right beside it, to give off the "stay out of my yard" feeling. In the map's current state, anyone could walk all over these people's yard, and realistically people wouldn't let that happen. It also frames the buildings nicely. The floral placement is good, but maybe not have too much of it - otherwise, it looks overgrown and erratic. Also, this is usually a technique some people use, but if the player's house is in this town, make it larger to point out that it's the player's house, as well as have a sign or a mailbox (preferably a mailbox) next to it (mailboxes and signs also work well with fence frames.) Also, I'd mess around with the path to make it less uniform (if it was a industrial-based path, it'd be somewhat okay to make it straight, but natural grass paths usually aren't). Finally, you can also use small trees (the two-tile ones or the one-tile ones, if your game has it) to frame off certain areas more, and to fill space that large trees don't fill (putting one or two two-tile trees in a stretched diagonal formation behind fences but in front of large trees is very appealing; one-tile trees look best at corners and next to edges of water (which you could also add in if you wanted)).

Map 2

Rating: 5/10
Reason/Suggestions:
Spoiler:
I've rated it low because this map is kinda... static. Starting from the bottom up, the area definitely looks flat if that's what you were going for - a bit too flat. Like in the last map, I'd randomize the bottom tree border to make it look more natural. The fence, again, is far too large, although since the bottom part is intended to be man-made, it's understandable. Maybe reduce the size and have some trees on the far-left and far-right sides to make it look better. The grass patches are entirely too square. However, before that, I'd remove the flowers from it; tall grass and flowers almost never grow together. The rocks can stay though,For the left patch, I'd have the grass near the opening curve around a small area near the entrance to make it look like it's been cut back. Just don't make it too circular. I'd also trim the grass down from the edges of the fence and have one or maybe two medium-sized open patches at the bottom. Finally, clear it from the top of the inner fence wall, preferably in a less-stretched diagonal line. For the right side, I'd do most of the same stuff for the left side, but instead of clearing it at the top, have it curve behind the house (maybe have it hit the uppermost side of the wall and extend two tiles behind the roof). For the house itself, I'd move the whole thing one tile forward (sign included), and then bring the entrance of the fence up one tile and add small trees and flowers in front of it (you could also replace one of the outer fence posts with the sign). Around the front of the house, you could add one or two flowers of your choice. Now, the ledge. I really don't think it fits well. Instead of using jumping ledges, add a rock wall, which makes it more obvious that the player is moving up a layer (plus they're useless with the trees behind it). The player has a camera view of 6 tiles (or three regular trees), so you'll have to expand your map for the left side to hide the ending of the rock wall (because it'll cut off at the start of the border block). Then replace the ending of the path with stairs, obviously, and have the path run into the stairs and come out at the top. For the grass patch, I'd curve it at the entrance and have it run under the tops of the trees (because it looks weird if you have grass and then barren tree tops). Remove the flowers (if you want) and maybe space it out a bit more. At the point where the grass touches the border block, remove the grass and add a two-tile tree between the top and the bottom of the large trees - it's a weird open gap that leads you behind the treeline, which is unusual for Pokemon games as trees are meant to block you from going behind them. At the exit of the grass patch, add a small tree in the corner of the trees to curve it out a bit. The path itself (which I assume is leading to another city?) looks very, very weird, especially since it ends in a rectangle on the same map. Unless that was your intended purpose, I'd make the trees form a sort of pathway and have the path run through it. I'd also curve out the bottom of the path to make it more natural and appealing, and put the sign between two two-tile trees to frame it better and to bring attention to it. Finally, since you will obviously be lacking in floral at this point, add some stray flowers here-and-there so it doesn't look like an overgrown forest.

And now, my map.

Map Name: Pallet Town
Map Game: FireRed
Hack Name: Pokemon Ichorus
Comments: This is essentially a remake of Pallet Town. I hated the original version because of how open the houses were to the paths - and I also hated that stupid light green path they used. I'm not totally sure how to frame off the water correctly at the bottom. Using a fence leaves an open space amongst the tree tops, but just having that lone small tree there is... odd. Sadly, if I add another small tree on the bank, it takes up too much space. I tried to use an air filter, but the tileset piece for the bank wasn't attached to the water. The empty tile next to the small tree is where a person will be standing. I'm also on-the-rope about adding some kind of vegetation behind the player's house. I personally think it looks okay as is, and most of it won't be seen anyway, but... idk. It seems weird.
Map:
Spoiler: