View Single Post
Old June 22nd, 2013 (1:16 AM). Edited June 22nd, 2013 by Twiggy.
You like dragons?
Crystal Tier
Nature: Hasty
I've been using a Windows Phone since last June. It's just a few days before the 365th day of my ownership of a Nokia Lumia 900. Mind you, it was bought on-contract just weeks after the developer conference that makes it clear that Windows Phone 7.x devices can't be upgraded to Windows Phone 8.x. However, I buy phones based on what they are able to do right now, and how well they do appointed tasks for me.

Since I use my phone to actually text, receive calls, post social network updates, and general web browsing, and not much else, I figured that I'd work very well with Windows Phone. In fact, you could say that I'm the target audience for that. I don't need to have the latest apps and games on my phone, since I don't see much use for most apps, and the apps that I do want are either already on it, or even exclusive back then (I really like having Office Mobile). As for games, I have a Nintendo 3DS to take care of that. I'm not a fan of smartphone gaming, to be honest, and I've never gotten into it, even with my last Android phone, which was a Samsung Galaxy S. The original one. The hardware in the Galaxy S was apparently failing, with the phone randomly turning off.

I must say, this is probably the most reliable smartphone that I've ever owned. I think I'm the kind of person that values reliability over versatility, so there's that. Being able to see under clear, sunny weather is a very big plus, too. The camera is weak, but I've gotten a mirrorless camera to deal with it.

I don't know whether I'll eventually try out iOS, but I think I'll wait until the next iPod touch refresh to dive in. (I don't have a portable media player, other than an actual FM/AM radio.)

Speaking of trying out Windows Phones running WP8.x, get a Nokia. If not possible, get a HTC. Avoid Samsung, ZTE, and Huawei if possible. Nokia's software is awesome, followed by HTC (by a rather large distance). Samsung's token efforts aren't... pretty compared to what you're getting from Nokia or HTC. (I can get behind Samsung's Windows 8 (sans phone) tablets, though.)

Speaking of Android, my dad's going to hand down the Galaxy S II he's been using for years to my mum, which is still on a feature phone, since he's getting a Galaxy S IV as a company phone. (Being a higher-up does have its benefits.) I think I'm going to have a time trying out stuff on that later this year.
Hey, it's Twiggy here. Or ♪Twiggy♪, if you prefer. I like Turtwig and Zorua a lot. I'm paired with Kip. I like Katy Perry. I want a Hydreigon plushie. Also, I'm a total PC geek.