View Single Post
Old June 22nd, 2013, 04:34 AM
Cutlerine
Gone. May or may not return.

> Do you have your PokeGear? See if you can call Lyra up again.

Click.

“The number you have dialled cannot be reached, because it is in existential torment.”

Huh.

> Completely random idea here, but smell the air.

It smells of seawater and burning (that'll be Vesta, you guess), and – very, very faintly – of fish and petrol, which is probably due to the Eldritch Krabby burrowing around under the town.

> Check on the Bad Egg and discuss the mystery of Lyra with Elm, who may know where she is, and Jasmine.

It appears to move occasionally. It may be close to hatching.

“Who is Lyra?” you ask.

“What?”

“Lyra,” you say. “The woman who sent me the Mail. I just tried to call her again, but there was nothing.”

Elm shrugs.

“A Trainer from New Bark,” he replies. “No one special – not particularly talented or anything. I wouldn't worry about the message in your PC, though; I think that's a spawn artefact – one of those things that always appears when a new player character is created.”

“I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS,” says Jasmine. “SORRY.”

“That's fine,” you tell her. “So we don't know who was on the other end of the line when I called her Pokégear and was told that a smell of petroleum prevails throughout?”

“Nope.” Elm shakes his head. “To be honest, I think the Unown are more important here.”

> Also, how exactly are we going to get to Goldenrod or the Ruins of Alph from Olivine? Head to Ecruteak first, you may be able to get some protection for Elm and Jasmine because they're with you.

“The Unown are definitely important here,” you agree. “Definitely. I suppose we need to get to the Ruins of Alph and see if anything's up.”

“OK,” says Elm. “How are we doing that without a helicopter?”

“Walking, I guess,” you reply. “To Ecruteak first – we should be safe there, because of the Gengar.”

“WE CAN LEAVE IN THE MORNING,” says Jasmine. “I DON'T FEEL LIKE WE SHOULD BE OUT AT NIGHT.”

All three of you can agree on that.

“OK,” you say. “So. For the time being – any more ideas about what might be going on? I know we've got all the clues.”

Elm sighs.

“I don't know,” he replies. “I think this is a player character thing, Othodox. We can't do this; we can discuss the ideas with you, but you have to come up with them.” He shrugs. “I know it sounds odd, but it's how this works. I think.”

“I AGREE,” says Jasmine. “THIS IS SOMETHING THAT WE JUST KNOW.”

Othodox's Hunger is rising.

Othodox's Thirst is rising.

Elm's Hunger is rising.

Elm's Thirst is rising.

The infection spreads. Elm is Pained.

For information about A Grand Day Out, a bizarre short story in video game form, click here.