View Single Post
Old June 24th, 2013, 03:44 AM
Archeops
Pixel artist and hack player

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Rush View Post
Yes, I will be re-doing the backsprite eventually. I'm considering re-doing Swoobat's as well.

The reason why the newer backsprites might look a lot better than the older ones is because:
1) naturally, I got better over time
2) I didn't have a 3DS when I made the earlier sprite
Ever since I have had my 3DS XL and Pokedex 3D Pro, I can now make much better looking custom backsprites.

Usually for the Unova backsprites, I'll cut out a portion of the B2/W2 backsprite and then enlarge it, then edit/clean it up. Most of the Unova backsprites were made like this, however, this doesn't work with every Pokemo, such as Swoobat, Archeops, Chandelure, etc. When I made the Swoobat and Archeops backsprites, my only anatomical references were the official art and sprites (I don't watch the anime). Now that I have Pokedex 3D Pro, I can simply move the camera to a good angle behind it, pause the animation, and simply draw what I see on MS Paint. This is why the backsprites of Eelektross and Chandelure look significantly better than Swoobat and Archeops.
Yes, I perfectly understand what you're saying. I based my White Kyurem backsprites on the 3D Pro model, too, but back then I didn't know you used a specific shading style for your sprites. Now, I'm attempting to see how I could improve my sprite; should I use the shading of White Kyurem's B2W2 backsprite?

By the way, you may have heard of a ROM hack named Pokémon Vega. That game has a small amount of Unova Pokémon, but most of them have entirely new poses, such as Ferrothorn and Eelektross, as well as unique backsprites. I could send you a PM featuring several of those Pokémon, if you'd like.