View Single Post
Old June 27th, 2013 (02:14 PM). Edited June 27th, 2013 by Grif of Hearts.
Que sera sera~

Nature: Naive

Noémi Calder

“Oh, hell. That’s awful. Are you alright?”

It was a voice. Very little more could be said about it. It was distorted somewhat by the speaker of the phone and it was clear that the speaker possessed some kind of Scottish accent. She was also female, or at least the voice suggested such a thing.

“Yes, I’m fine. I’ve told you, I never knew him all that well. My grandmèr-” the second voice, a soft and distinctly feminine twang to every word, halted. Her mind raced, a brief moment of confusion before she corrected herself. “My grandmother is taking it the worst, as you might expect, and my father after that. I can’t help but feel somewhat apathetic, although I dare not say it in front of my family.”

“What about David? Has he arrived yet or is he still on the plane?”

“Neither. He keeps saying that he’ll be here as soon as he can but I have a feeling he won’t show up at all. I think I miss him more than anyone else here.”

A woman perched on the edge of her bed, sinking into the comfortable if gaudy looking mattress with her legs hanging over the wooden foot railing. The room she sat in was a spare room and possessed many typical traits of such. It was flowery and pink, rarely used but still possessing a somewhat musty smell. Noémi held a grey mobile phone up to her ear, the smooth, almost musical worlds wafting from the speaker. Her hair, loose and unkempt, shielded half of the communication device from sight.

The voice over the phone spoke with an accent. It was different from Noémi’s, faint but clearly quite Scottish, and was obviously from a woman. Noémi had missed this voice almost as much as she would have missed her family if they were not here with her. Her name was Susie and was probably Noémi’s closest friend back at her lodgings in England. She had settled Noémi into her student housing, helped her around the remarkably confusing campus grounds and had introduced her to British culture. In Noémi’s mind Susie was a genius, and without her she would have never discovered the infamous “deep-fried Mars bar”. She could never quite tell if that was a good thing or a bad thing, but it was a curiosity none the less.

The two women spoke for a few minutes more, although they both wanted to keep it as brief as possible. International calls were a nightmare for both cost and connection. Susie wanted to be sure that Noémi was holding up with the recent death in the family and Noémi wanted to make sure that her friend hadn’t wrecked her flat building since she had been gone. Despite Susie being the more experienced one out of the two roommates she was certainly not the most responsbile. Thankfully both of them were in a relatively decent state despite the separation and they both put down the phone relieved that their friend on the other side of the world was perfectly safe.

This was the first step in Noémi’s slow crawl through the day, trying to find things to occupy her time while she waited for her plane trip back home. She hadn’t even been in the city for a week yet and the days were already moving slower than Noémi could have ever imagined. New York should have been the centre of entertainment, but everything costed more than she could afford. Noémi was not oozing money from every pore, having spent more than she would have liked on the plane tickets, and her parents were too fearful of seeming insensitive that they refused to leave grandmother alone. She in turn refused to leave the house, meaning that in the end only Noémi and her siblings were willing to go out into the “fresh” air.

Noémi felt stranded here, trapped by her family’s grief.

Sightseeing was her only form entertainment. The buildings could be quite pretty across the city, especially around the area of Central Park. Then there was the park itself, a place which Noémi seemed to stumble to just about every single day. The summer sun was warm here, and the breeze kicked at her hair. Twice she had come here just to lie down and rest, and today was the third time. Noémi felt relief the moment her shoes crumpled the green grass.

There were paths to follow, weaving around the small knolls and occasional tree, but Noémi had chosen to ignore them. She hummed as she walked, taking in the sights and the sounds of central New York. Central Park continued to remind her of an oasis, a sea of green amongst an expanse of grey.

So she sat, legs outstretched and arms in her lap. Noémi felt the weight of her rucksack lift as she slipped it off and put it to the side, arms no longer digging into her shoulders. Finally she was comfortable, and watching the people travel by proved interesting enough.

At times Noémi had contemplated making some new friends. Her siblings were amusing in small doses, but her university trip had regrettably distanced herself from them. Many people seemed to find the American people obnoxious, but Noémi saw them the same as anyone else. Tentatively intriguing but ultimately bland, as much as it pained her to think. She had found a few people who seemed pleasant, mostly from watching groups on escapades such as this, but Noémi had never worked up the courage to speak to any of them. It would be a fleeting relationship no matter how one looked at it. Today she would be here, but next fortnight she would not, and it made the idea seem pointless.

Feeling somewhat peckish, Noémi slowly pulled down the zip of her rucksack and pulled out a small Clingfilm wrapped object. She pulled away the plastic and, slowly, began to nibble on the crust of a slice of brown bread.