View Single Post
Old July 3rd, 2013 (04:05 AM).

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Plumpyfoof
Quote originally posted by gimmepie:
@Plumpy - Okay you got me on your latest Square vs Cube, I can't out do you on that one. But I still must disagree with your assessment as this of a situation with no right or wrong and only different views. Either maths is a language we invented, a principal we discovered, or two sides of the same coin. There's not really any grey area - one of those categories is correct and only one. But I appreciate how you are trying to look at this.

More on topic - Let me ask you this. If you discovered a brand knew principal today, you would probably name it correct? Quite probably after yourself. But this principal most likely existed long before you would have named it, you are simply attaching this title to the principal so you are able to refer to it. Before naming it you may have simply used a question mark to denote it in your research notes, but you have still essentially used a language to brand it.

Did you discover the principal in this scenario? Yes
But you didn't discover the language you use to describe it, whether that is it's name in English or the Formula you have used to represent it. The language you are using is a human invention - we created it to communicate at a higher level, to describe objects and their components, and have refined it over time.

In this scenario, you have determined what each of those values is denoted by. You could have just as easily used the letter b, z, r and w to represent the values in your formula - and if one of those values corresponds to an already discovered principal that just means someone else went through the same process for that value earlier on where they discovered the value and then used language to represent it.
The square cube thing is my go to two-part rebuttal for similar applicable situations, I've had practice with that one hahah.

Alright yeah you got me there, there isn't much I can say without repeating myself or just alienating mathematics from language.

1 for 1 sir.