Thread: [Discussion] Autism
View Single Post
Old July 12th, 2013 (06:52 PM).
Alex
The post-apocalyptic dictator of Goldenrod City
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
Send a message via Skype™ to Alex
Luckily validity is here to save my ass again (thank heavens).

I'm a person who was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome, a special (and deprecated) diagnosis that falls at the very tip of the high end of the Autism spectrum. Yes, they've removed Asperger's Syndrome from the spectrum, but I'm still a high-functioning Autistic nonetheless. My family believes that my father and my uncle (both full brothers by blood) are undiagnosed Autistics as well, mainly because of the personality traits and quirks the three of us share. I was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome at the age of 5 in Huntington, West Virginia, and at the age of 8 I received diagnoses for Classical Bipolar, ADHD, and Tourette's Syndrome from a medical center in Columbus, Ohio. Essentially, I hold diagnoses for three of the major mental disorders that many a folk like to abuse for self-gain. Listen to what I have to say regarding Autism.

I think that it is true that people misuse and misrepresent Autistics in regard to some of the things the OP was kind enough to mention. However, I also think that these people have good grounds on why they make such accusations. Naturally, Autistics lean towards selfish, often rude behavior around others. I've learned this as truth after I moved in with my father last year, and solidified my opinion on that when his brother (my uncle) moved in back in February. For my uncle, he has refused to acknowledge his self-fullfilling behavioral flaws to this date; he has seen no sort of light telling him to change how he behaves towards others. For my father, he has realized that he had became a selfish and greedy person through watching how I behaved early in my childhood; he has since spent the last decade repairing his flaws. I on the other hand, have realized that I behave like an indecent and demanding person when I was 14. I have, in the last year, been building a selfless, positively-rooted life through the help of many people. In short, I have a very strong belief that it is second-nature for autistics to be self-demanding twats.

You're probably wondering, "'You're all ass holes, let's blame it on Autism' doesn't really work for me. Got anything else?" Well, I do. First, we don't have a random inclination to behave selfishly; that really doesn't seem logical. Second, there are a hardly countable number of amazing similiarites that the three of us share amongst each other, that together proves an odd connectivity between us. Third, each of us have three main similarites as well that are normally credited with Autism, which are: (1) An enlarged memory cortex, accompanied with a disproportionately limited ability to handle social structure, (2) A natural irritation against certain things occuring within the same space (which holds similar to Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder), and (3) An amazing increase in the productivity of the neocortex (center of critical thinking), accompanied with a rather large deficit in the activity of the amygdala and the hypothalmus (handlers for emotional thinking, as well as the "fight or flight" mechanism).

Autistics have a completely different structure within our brains on how to handle things, which can have some side effects. Those side effects tend to be our downfall if we don't fix them at one point or another. My father and I think that one of those side effects is an enormous lean towards selfish, ass hole-resembling behavior by mere nature. I think that it may be an imbalance within the brain's mechanism for self-preservation, but that's just me.

You see where these normal people could get that Autistics can be rude sometimes? I do. I'm not saying they're completely justified or unjustified one way or another, but I can easily see where some of them come from. And just think of how many Autistics have been raised to allow this selfish bias to dwell and grow through their childhood. Just imagine Honey-Boo-Boo's mother with three Autistic sons, and I think you get the idea of what I'm saying.