View Single Post
Old July 15th, 2013, 01:12 PM
blind-beloved

Hmm I disagree with some of your points, but I wont go into it too much. From what I noticed, digital art is almost shunned in galleries and yet traditional art view through a camera picture or a scanned is still greatly appreciated online. And yes, the internet may expose your art to more people... but they will not care about it. In a gallery, heck in an art show, I make a lot more personal connections. Locally, people expect to see more from me. Not so online. Online, art is cheapened, in my opinion. There are so many fantastic artists all over the world, some masters of digital, and it honestly cheapens a lot of what gets put online. Unless you are really amazing, it's hard to get a HUGE following online. If you find a few good people to help you with your journey, more power to you. But they may not help you enough when you apply for a job and they ask for references. That's why real world connections are important too.

As for my personal preference... I like the capabilities of digital but I'm going to have to go with traditional. Though most people do know me for my digital works, online and at school, I worked my butt off on paper before I ever transitioned. I barely started using a tablet last year and I'm buying a new one by the time it's my birthday. I just like the feel of traditional. With digital, even the tools make the art feel cheaper. If I'm frustrated with my artwork, I can just exit out and act like my mistakes never existed. With traditional, I can flip through my sketchbooks and basically see an archive of my past ideas. I can smudge my fingers to shade, I work with my mistakes more than I do in digital and usually end up better for it. While I appreciate digital and my chosen path will probably make me use it a lot more, I don't think I'll ever give up traditional completely. Plus, I love working with ink, brush and dip pen over digital outlining any day. Digital loses heart when I try to become a perfectionist. I can also finish up outlining way faster traditionally, but that just may be me. I don't think it's "cheating" to do anything digitally, I just feel I learn way more traditionally and I still use it a lot more than digital today.