View Single Post
Old July 19th, 2013, 11:54 AM
KriegStein
Nuclear Reactor

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlahISuck View Post
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/s...in-a-year.html

Looks like it's finally happening, folks. This issue is multifaceted and I will try to bring a number of themes to light:

1) What do you think about creating a human-animal chimera? Is this breaking the "barriers" of nature? Or is the only barrier what human ingenuity cannot accomplish?

2) I don't think this technique will be extended to humans, for obvious reasons. I can put that previous statement this way: these animals are being used quite simply because they are animals. Is this a step up from what we're used to in terms of using animals as resources? Would it make a difference if you harvested both the meat and the organs? Are animals more than things and are they being commodified too far? Does the need for organ transplants outweigh the ethics of using animals to harvest organs?

3) The United States is one of the most technologically advanced countries in the world - much of the high tech innovation going on still occurs there. This is no doubt on the cutting edge of the life sciences. Do you think such advances would be possible in the United States? Do the current political and social climate inhibit scientific development from occurring? If so, is this something worth changing?

I remember the thread about duck-chicken chimeras, and this is along the same vein, but at the same time quite different. Happy discussing!
Considering my lenient moral in science...
1. I say: Go for it dammit! I find these things always fun to study. (Although I like biomechanics more)
2. Hey if a pig can give a person a new heart I say go for it. And I think this technique WILL be extended to humans. But not in legal places o course.
3. Bah... It could but it wont. sadly...
EDIT: I meant Biomechatronics. not biomechanics.

Last edited by KriegStein; July 19th, 2013 at 11:58 AM. Reason: oops...