View Single Post
Old July 27th, 2013, 02:14 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
As a skinny-borderline-underweight dude, I have no actual experience in being fat, but I will say what I know about being on the other side of the spectrum.

It's hard to gain weight for me, because I don't like eating. I suppose this is the parallel for fat people trying to lose weight.

What makes it hard is that I have to eat and exercise in order to gain weight.

Eating makes me feel nauseous honestly, and I can't sit down long enough because it becomes a chore when you don't feel the joy of eating. So I barely eat sometimes, and even in a Chinese family with relatively small portions, I feel full before everyone else and leave more leftovers than anyone else. I do eat fast and finish quickly though, because that's how I've gotten used to getting used to sitting down and trudging my way through all that food. Many days I can't even eat unless I have an iPod playing something I like because it's so hard without.

And exercising is hard as hell, because I have no energy from food because I didn't eat well, and I don't have any reserve fat like normal people do. I dread going to the gym every day because I'll feel horrible. Not to mention that my lungs are weaker on principle, and that they fill with mucus every time I run faster than 6.0 on the treadmill for over a minute.

So I suppose that's what it's like being fat. Dieting is painful and boring, and exercising is hard for different reasons, but hard and unfulfilling nonetheless. I understand.

However, I have recently started to go to the gym and try to exercise. It's hard, and many days I don't want to go when I have to. But once you get the hang of it, you'll find that it gets easier every time you go. It's not noticeable for the first couple of weeks, but after a few episodes of "my body is broken" you'll start to see some gain in strength, etc.

And eating? I've been trying to eat a good meal and not sleep through food times more often than I used to. The food is still horrible, and I still don't like it, but I eat 99% of the time when I'm supposed to.

So how does being painfully skinny have to do with obesity?

I'll admit, I have no idea what being obese or overweight is like, and I'm not saying I know anything about your problems, but from what I can tell from being in a parallel situation, it's not your fault. People should go easy on you.

However, this doesn't mean go have donuts and ice cream and eat until you hate yourself because you can't control it woooo! No, this means you have to be harder on yourself. Force yourself to not eat that plate of fries. Force the salad down your face. Go to the gym and work out until you get your money's worth.

I'm not going to say it's easy, and I don't know if it's hard either, but with some moral support from friends, family, personal trainers (if you're rich), and such, it should be at least approachable if it was too massive before.

Though I am aware, I'm not obese or overweight, so I can't say anything about being overweight definitively, but I know that nothing in life is easy, so I know at least this: you have to try, and people have to be understanding in order for it to work.