View Single Post
Old Posted July 27th, 2013 (02:26 PM).
twocows
Pretentious Intellectual Jerk
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silais View Post
I'm guessing you've never experienced depression, anxiety attacks, or any other type of emotional disorder or abuse. I'm also guessing you have no idea how severe and debilitating these disorders are, and how they can greatly affect a person's lifestyle.
You're terrible at guessing. There are, in fact, people who have worked through some of those problems and come out stronger for it, and I happen to be one of them. I'm not even particularly strong-willed. Please don't make assumptions.

Quote:
As an in-training corrections counselor, I've seen people from all walks of life who have many different stories to tell. Obesity is one of them. The "take responsibility for your own actions" idea only goes so far, and it doesn't work for everyone. Some people are not cognitively or emotionally able to take care of themselves.
If they are not able to take care of themselves, they should be in a care facility, not out in the world causing problems.

Quote:
Others eat to comfort themselves because of their life situations. There are some who simply enjoy eating, but most of the time it's a symptom of a larger problem.
None of this excuses you for taking responsibility for your own actions. We are not mere beasts, acting purely on whim and instinct. We are human, we have the unique ability to self-determine. You can make whatever excuses you want, but ultimately, the decision of what to do with your life resides with you. If you choose to overeat, that's fine, so long as you understand the consequences and are all right with them. If you don't want to deal with those, then you take steps to deal with your weight problem. Own up to your life choices, because you're the one making them. Not me, not them, not society, not the government, not your genetics. You.

Quote:
Human beings are social creatures, and the opinions and thoughts of others, no matter how much we'd like to deny it, affect us greatly and how we behave. When we insult, vilify and treat others differently or with malice, we distance and divide that group from regular society. In doing so, we only increase the behavior that caused society to reject them in the first place. Mental and emotional abuse should never be regarded as "tough luck". It's a very serious problem, and it doesn't just affect the obese.
It's a problem people need to work through because nearly everyone deals with it at some point. It's a part of growing up. Coddling people and putting them in their own private hugbox just insulates them and doesn't prepare them for the harsh reality of the world: some people are jerks and you just have to deal with it on your own. Not everything is rainbows and sunshine. Yet another reason why you need to own up to your choices. if you've done what is right for you, you have nothing to be ashamed of.

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." - H. L. Mencken, unsourced

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"- Isaac Asimov, Column in Newsweek (21 January 1980) [source]