Thread: [Discussion] College - Is it worth it?
View Single Post
Old August 2nd, 2013, 05:30 PM
The Dark Avenger
The Flyest Avenger

Nature: Adamant
There a good number of those attending college that aspire to work in fields that lack demand.

Fashion Design
Theatre
Art History
Photography
Literature
Journalism
Religious Studies
Film
Sports Management
Anthropology
Sports and Recreation
LIBERAL ARTS!!!! (SERIOUSLY?!?!)

These are all jobs fields that are projecting a decline in positions over ten years despite more students attaining degrees in these fields or the job growth is significantly lower than the number of graduates. I would suggest changing or applying to a program in a different or related field. For instance, if you like journalism, perhaps you might want to focus on technical writing as well public policy or legal studies.

Though, you could be better off than someone without any degree, especially given that your job perspectives in a field unrelated to your major puts you at an advantage over other job candidates without a degree.

There is always a school that will accept a student even if that student has poor grades in high school as well as from another college. Many of these students that under-perform other students in a field are likely not to get a job, or a job in their specific field. They might as well cut their losses short and not pursuit college, accrue debts, waste time, and not obtain a job in their career. For those reasons, colleges shouldn't be accepting students that cannot verify their ability to be a responsible and/or competent student. The honest truth is, college is not for everyone, and some should be strongly encouraged to not attend college. Especially the ones with poor grades or in certain fields of study accepting state or federal money, it's an investment of the public in a student that has demonstrating a lack in ability and/or effort/responsibility. It's vexing to me that it's a commonly expressed belief that everyone should have the opportunity to go to college.

Students, like myself, receive very little money from parents, however, have achieved academic excellence in high school as well as college, which significantly reduces the costs of college. Let's just say I pay under $1000 a semester rather than 12k-15k, so I don't require loans or grants from the government. Many many many students are too reliant on financial loans. Especially considering the prestige of the school or field, that investment may or may not be worth it. For example, if you are taking out 10,000$ loans for an art or liberal arts degree at a community college, odds are, you are wasting your time and money. Though, if 60,000$ a year is the pricetag for you degree in, well, just about anything, at an Ivy League, then take the loan!

All-in-all, there is not definitive answer, it must be assessed on a case-by-case basis whether one should or should not go to college.